May 05, 2024, 10:03:13 PM

News:

cylinder honing

Started by darrelbarrows, January 30, 2009, 04:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrelbarrows

my indy gave me a price of 135.00 to hone my cylinders and rering the pistons, is this about the going rate for this..

thanks

rdkng

thats probably about right.  by the time you set them up, get the fluid out,
put on the torque plates, hone,  clean them up, & etc.. you have gone
through an hour or more..
rdkng.     
Happy Motoring, Road King George

Hillside Motorcycle

We charge 155.00, and am aware of some shps at 200.00.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

lasmittys1

Quote from: darrelbarrows on January 30, 2009, 04:35:46 PM
my indy gave me a price of 135.00 to hone my cylinders and rering the pistons, is this about the going rate for this..

thanks

Are you telling us that you're using the same pistons and cylinders and only installing new rings on the pistons , not boring cylinders, or not honing to a larger size piston? And they are going to charge you 135.00?

darrelbarrows

what is wrong with using the same cyliders and pistons? He is going to flex hone them if they measure out and install new rings. I am having the heads milled to bumb compression so i did not want to get into boreing and new pistons if mine are fine.

lasmittys1

Quote from: darrelbarrows on January 30, 2009, 06:22:32 PM
what is wrong with using the same cyliders and pistons? He is going to flex hone them if they measure out and install new rings.

I have no problem with using the same piston and cylinders. I think the price is high.

Hillside Motorcycle

I thought you were refing to boring/torque honing??
That is why we are at 155.00.
Torque hone only-------72.00
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

massheadcase1

bore to next oversize and torque plate hone....120.00 pair
hone only w/torque plates....60.00 pair
Thats w/a Sunnen rigid hone....no dingleball honing here.........anything but a rigid hone defeats the purpose of torque plates..............Headcase

darrelbarrows

thanks for the info everyone, i will ask him to see just what how he is going to do it..

Purple Pan Dan

There is NO NEED to torque plate when just running a ball hone through the cyls for new rings. Even AFTER using the Sunnen rigid hone you should ball hone then to break the plateau. To just ball hone for rings I would think 50 would be more like it Including checking the ring-fit.

Hillside Motorcycle

Ball hone's "scratch" the walls, and load media into them as well.
We do not even own one.

Purple Pan Dan

So....what do you use for the Plateau hone? If you use the Sunnen plateau honing "stones" they are essentially ball hones.