April 28, 2024, 01:18:26 AM

News:

oil puking out the bottom,check valve?

Started by rexx5054, July 17, 2012, 12:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexx5054

my 68 xlch has been sitting and now the i have tried to start the old thing it pees oil on the floor just kicking it over. Did not do this last year except the primary was over full when I had a shop look at it. I drained about a half quart out last night and tried to start it and about that much came out on the floor again.  Is the check valve leaking by? Also what is the check valves purpose ,check from where to where?

garyajaz

where is it leaking form?
primary side or cam case vent?
mine sumps bad when sitting a few months.
running it unsumps and refills oil tank.
if oil tank looks a quart low, dont add oil...lol.

rexx5054

it looks like it is coming out the vent by the generator but primary side was overfullpreviously. it spits it out while I was trying to start it. it has been hard to start and if fired 1 time but unable to keep it running.after that i could hear oil spit when I kicked it and stopped to investigate.

wheelie1239

If the primary oil level has gone up, you need the replace the one way valve. It looks like a screen and is inside the primary on the engine case near the compensator. You are getting motor oil in the primary.

The oil coming out of the generator vent is a separate issue. That is from the check valve. When they sit for a while they sump like this. The check valve is not holding and oil is leaking past it into the engine case area. Ride it more. If it still happens do a search here for tips on how to reseat the check valve.

garyajaz

start from scratch. drain all oils...then drain sump.
then refill and run the thing.

bobrk1

its common gravity drains the oil down sometimes the check ball wears a little when  i would start mine i put a pan under the breather tube and start it after it ran a bit all the oil goes in tank all set for another season.

nibroc

you can seal the one way check valve and run a vent from the tranny but the ck valve in oil pump is your problem

RayRay12

I just had the same problem!! I rebuilt my oil pump, the CK valve was in pieces!! $75. Dealer part!! Nobody else has it!! Good luck Man!!
Run your fingers over my bike, I run my Bike over you!

bobrk1

my 70 did the same thing its common from sitting, I just put a pan under the vent when I started it for the first time and caught the oil, it was fine after that.

Sonny S.

Ive known people to put a small valve in the oil line and close it if the bike is gonna sit. Just remember to open it

FSG

Quote from: Sonny S. on May 29, 2013, 08:20:33 PM
Ive known people to put a small valve in the oil line and close it if the bike is gonna sit. Just remember to open it

Yep, did that on my '90 FLHTCU

nibroc

Quote from: FSG on May 29, 2013, 08:21:55 PM

yeah--that would be a real bad mistake if ye ever forgot to open it back up :oil:

FSG

Quoteyeah--that would be a real bad mistake if ye ever forgot to open it back up :oil:

Very true, but you carry and use one of these    :wink:

saltcaveminer

adding a valve should be the last option.this is how sportys give payback for sitting too long.you may want to try removing the ball and spring,clean the seat and ball and give the spring a little stretch.Salty

garyajaz

make that a HUGE turn on oil sign. :oil: :oil: :oil:
i have a big paper taped to my sporty gas tank...NO OIL
i drained everything cause its been down a while.

once on 1/2 mile flat track i fired up xr and warmed it up.
those carbs liked to seep past needle and seat.  so we always turned off fuel valve.
well, (you can see this coming cant you)
we up. lined it up. got fired. flag dropped. bike died about 10 feet out.
no gas.  in excitement forgot to turn them on.  they have sorta long lines lines so can run a while with both valves turned off.
crap.
after that we removed petcocks.  used small vice grips to pinch lines if not in use.
kinda hard not to miss them no matter how excited/distracted one gets.
or just blame it on crew cheif.  but still cant win or place for main event if no gas.

i just not for a valve in oil llines.  run it more.  or keep it dry off season with a big sign.

or hell, ride the damn thing....

Wicked

Gotta like your attitude Gary...."Get'er done"!! Haha! (I help a buddy at a strip)!!

FSG

Quoteafter that we removed petcocks.  used small vice grips to pinch lines if not in use.

This is what I do to the TC Fatty if it's going to sit for more than a week or so.

Remember to remove before flight.   :teeth:

Wicked

Cool!! i only got ugly green though....

FSG

orange & yellow in my tool box, never seen green, nevermind ugly green   :teeth:

Ohio HD

Quote from: FSG on May 29, 2013, 08:21:55 PM

Thought about that in the past, was always afraid someone would close it, and I didn't look that time..  :banghead:

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk