May 01, 2024, 10:24:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

79 starter repair, who has been in there?

Started by ironhead lew, July 20, 2012, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironhead lew

I've gotta go in and fix the starter, probably the jackshaft.  Don't have an impact wrench, but I do have a 3/4 inch socket set.  Can anyone share their experiences with holding the flywheel while removing the nut?  Gonna replace the clutch discs while I'm in there, if I can get that far.

saltcaveminer

there is a tool for this but some have had success with wood or rags wedged between the teeth.a breaker bar with a length of pipe has worked for me.just be careful that nothing slips,keep good balance etc.i have also used the rattle gun with success.Salty

ironhead lew

Thanks, Salty.  I know the tool you refer to, and I thought I had one out there in the barn somewhere, but haven't turned it up so far.  Wedging a piece of wood in there against the teeth was something I had in mind, just curious what success others have had with that.  Have you had the entire starter assmbly out?  Anything I should be looking for other than a bad jackshaft?  Basically, solenoid won't engage the gear; I've tried several solenoids, I'm sure it's not the problem.  I'm assuming, of course, that the flywheel still has teeth on it........

saltcaveminer

things to look for would be bent shifter lever,worn pinion gear and clutch ring gear.while you are in there take a close look at the starter drive gear starter motor gear and the bearings.i had an experience once where the bearing broke up and wiped out the starter motor gear.$6 dollar bearing wiped out $150 dollar starter motor. Salty

wreck74

There is no need to remove the engine sprocket nut, or the clutch basket nut, once you have the primary cover off you can see the ring gear, if it's good then pull the starter off and check the drive gear and bearings, look inside of the primary cover for the jack-shaft needle bearing, if the ring gear is in good shape, no need to brake the big nuts loose.