Softail and touring rear wheels. Interchangable?

Started by gryphon, January 31, 2009, 12:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

I can't think of what (if any) difference there would be between Softail and Touring rear wheels but thought I would check before buying. Got a fatboy rear wheel on my son's bike right now but I'm thinking about picking up a 10 spoke wheel from a touring bike to replace it. I know the rotors looked different but I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is the same.

88toro

I asked a question close to this awhile back. Type in "1987 FLHTC wheel" in the search box and you can read the answers I received.   Hope this helps, John in Kansas

gryphon

Thanks for the link to your question. I notice that one poster made the statement that the softail rotors would not fit on a touring wheel. I don't see why unless the register (centering lip around the hub) is some wild and crazy size. Does the brake side even have a register on these year touring wheels. I know that on the 2000 and later wheels they do and I have installed Shovelhead and EVO rotors on the by simply opening up the register hole. I've got that setup on my bike now (along with a Shovelhead chain sprocket). Does anyone know if there's a register on the brake side of the EVO touring wheels?

88toro

I haven't changed any wheels yet, but this people on this site will have the right answers.  John in Kansas