April 27, 2024, 07:43:09 AM

News:

"gruntin" when hot

Started by 69 harley, July 25, 2012, 04:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 harley

1969 genny shovel running 86" with S&S flywheels, rods, jugs, 8.5-1 pistons, an Andrew AB grind cam, cv carb with 180 main & 48 intermediate, low speed out about 2-1/2 turns. When she's cold she spins over like a raped ape, but hot it wants to grunt and sometimes kick back. I even put a kill switch on her and it even does it with the switch on. It actually acts like it is trying to fire for an instant sometimes when I have the kill switch on. I have the timing slightly retarded. I don't know my compression.
I'm running the Prestolite starter that was just recently rebuilt. Also all new 2 gage cables with an extra cable to ground the starter.
I tried an All Balls starter and it wouldn't work. I was told by Stephan from All Balls that on some bikes running the Ford style relay that their starter would not work but he did not know why and he refunded my money. I was thinking that there is a small amount of fuel getting into the combustion chamber after I shut it down & because of heat and compression it is firing even with the switch being off. I've even tried to slow the engine down by releasing the clutch while it is in gear, (kind of stalling), and turning the key off at the same time to keep it from sucking fuel into the combustion chamber but it still does it. I'm running the highest octane I can get but perhaps an octane booster would help??  Any ideas??
69 harley

easyricer

I have an AB in my 76. It's still 74ci and I am running a .50 pilot with a 195 main in my CV. How are you getting away with such a lean carb on that big engine?
I'd retard the timing a little more, maybe try a little bit richer carb mixture.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

69 harley

Quote from: easyricer on July 25, 2012, 05:04:23 AM
How are you getting away with such a lean carb on that big engine?
I'd retard the timing a little more, maybe try a little bit richer carb mixture.
EASY
Easy, thanks for the reply!
I was running  190 / 50 jets with my old mufflers that had the baffles knocked out and she would "grunt" when hot. (NOTE: I'm running Paughco true dual set-up exhaust ). This winter I put a set of the original style aftermarket mufflers on and the baffles caused it to run way too rich. After f**king around with different jet combinations and not getting her to run right, I ended up and knocked a hole in the first set of baffles from the inlet end and I found the 180 / 48 jets to run fairly decent. Although I don't want to, I may end up having to knock holes in the rear baffles too.
69 harley