April 26, 2024, 10:38:57 PM

News:

1968 XLCH Manual Magneto

Started by cajun1957a, January 31, 2009, 02:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajun1957a

Has anyone had experience in installing a manual magneto?  I have the timing mark on the flywheel center of the sight hole.  The mag will drop in fine, but the book doesnt tell me the orientation of the cam lobe when installing it in the gear case.  Also the book tells of a timing mark on the timing mounting plate.  The only thing i can find is a tiny indent or hole in the general area, and I must assume that is the mark, however it also say to line up the timing mark on the base of the magneto.  I can't find a timing mark or any mark for that matter on the base.  Am i looking in the wrong area?  The tiny hole on the mounting bracket is towards the front of the motor, but nothing on the front part of the mag. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

randy

cajun1957a

I think i may have it solved.  there is no timing marks on a manual advance. 

randy

Pynzo

The timing marks in the mag base and adapter plate were chiseled in after factory installation and timing was set with a timing light. They are there to static time the bike if the mag is ever pulled out. You'll still need to set timing with a timing light. Joe Hunt Magneto sells a buzz box for setting up static timing. An ohmeter will work also.

nibroc

a piece of celophane or a light will work also--all ya have to do is get the points to just barely open at 40 degrees

Hoist!

Quote from: nibroc on February 02, 2009, 09:32:57 PM
a piece of celophane or a light will work also--all ya have to do is get the points to just barely open at 40 degrees

Or rolling paper! :wink:

Hoist! :smiled:
"I just want to be free! Free to ride my machine and not be hassled by the man!"