May 08, 2024, 02:14:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

09 headers on 2012 triglide, 02's different, what do i do??/

Started by burgies08ultra, July 31, 2012, 08:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burgies08ultra

if i put an 09 streetglide headers on my 2012 triglide, will i have to move the o2's??
or is there a cable i can buy to move up to the 02 bunges near the heads??/
anything i should be aware of to make the switch??/
thanks for all you advice in advance...
burgie
2013 road glide,2009 road king

HogBag

The later 2012 bikes have heated 12mm sensors that mount down near the mufflers. So you cant mount them where the 17mm bungs are on the 09 headers because they will cook. The 09 headers will need new bungs mounted close to where your 2012 bungs are on your stock headers. Not a big deal to have them fitted and welded on but they will need to be placed in the right position for the best sampling and no cross talk between them.

BVHOG

Drag specialties has a kit with cable extensions and bung adapter for doing what you describe. Part no. 1861-0608    $31.95
(and you guys thought I was going to say get rid of the 02's)
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

remington007

That kit puts the heated sensors where they should not be. Too close to the exhaust port!!
Not to mention they probably would not be the correct depth to boot.

burgies08ultra

Quote from: HogBag on August 01, 2012, 12:53:11 AM
The later 2012 bikes have heated 12mm sensors that mount down near the mufflers. So you cant mount them where the 17mm bungs are on the 09 headers because they will cook. The 09 headers will need new bungs mounted close to where your 2012 bungs are on your stock headers. Not a big deal to have them fitted and welded on but they will need to be placed in the right position for the best sampling and no cross talk between them.

ok, so where do i find the knowledge of where to put the bungs??? or a shop in the dfw area???
thanks
burgie

wurk_truk

The real fix would be to buy a header pipe from Fullsac or Fuelmoto.  The bungs will be in the right spots, etc.  Sure, it will be more $$$ than that 09 pipe, but will it be more than the price AFTER the aggravation, etc on moving the bugs?
Oh No!

Steve Cole

Cycle Shack also has a very nice replacement head pipe with both sets of bungs in them.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Mr. Wizard

If you want to keep the 09 head pipe.....

Plug up the sensor holes, take it to get tuned by someone with a sniffer or Herko kit and run open loop.

Just say'n   :missed:

aharp

Haha Bob ;D
Id have some bungs welded in for the 12mm sensors. Easy to do and the sensor will be able to do its job with correct placement.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

HogBag

Bung placement with the 12mm sensors is not that hard because they will be placed in a straight section of the pipe in front of the mufflers. The early 17mm bungs where a headache  because they where fitted close to the exhaust port on the bent in the header. This caused  incorrect data at lower revs as the flow held the outer radios of the header missing the sensor until the revs came up filling the pipes with exhaust flow. Not a big deal to have them fitted on a straight section of pipe close to the collector. Save your money and fit the 12 bungs 6 to 8 inches before the collector.

burgies08ultra

msocko3

Quote from: burgies08ultra on August 01, 2012, 01:21:49 PM
ok, where is the "correct" placement????

Use your present head pipe as a guide, IMO I'd locate them just a skosh closer up the pipe from where your present head pipe has them. Another thought is you could contact Fullsac and have him convert the 09 into a Sport Pipe with bungs in the proper location for your 12.

sfmichael

If you are simply looking to eliminate your cat, the stock pipe can be cut open and then re-welded once the cat is removed. If this is beyond the scope of your capability, there is a company I saw on eBay that will sell you a stock pipe already gutted for $100 plus $25 for shipping. They do want your pipe back so they charge a $50 core, but the $25 covers shipping both ways. They will credit you the $50 back once they receive your pipe back. And if you want to keep your stock pipe, that's ok too and they'll reduce the shipping in half.

Search "Wild Pig" in American m/cycle parts
Colorado Springs, CO.

burgies08ultra

burgies08ultra

fullsac want to sell the x pipe for the trikes for $499.. too steep for my budget..
just need  bungs welded into the 09 pipes i can get without the cat...n the dfw area???

glens

I don't know what the difference is between the stock touring headpipe and that for the tri-glide.  Is there any?  Call Fullsac and ask them what it would cost to do a "sport" pipe for the tri-glide before you make any decisions.

I'd not put the '10+ O2 sensors in an open-chamber '09 pipe nor would I simply gut the cat out of a '10+ pipe.  I also would not go with a location for the sensors other than exactly where they are on the stock pipes as I'm confident the ECM times the reading of the sensors to correspond with when the best time to do that is.  If that's the case and you stick them anywhere else in the pipes you'll get sub-optimal results.

HogMike

Quote from: burgies08ultra on August 04, 2012, 12:51:55 PM
fullsac want to sell the x pipe for the trikes for $499.. too steep for my budget..
just need  bungs welded into the 09 pipes i can get without the cat...n the dfw area???

Fullsac has the "SportPipe" for trikes.
FWIW the head pipe on the trikes has a longer "tail piece", but you get that with a Sportpipe, that way you can use any '09 head pipe.
IIRC the sportpipe price is quite a bit less than the standard "B" pipe, about $279 I think.
:smiled:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

sfmichael

Quote from: glens on August 04, 2012, 12:25:36 PM
http://fullsac.com/sportpipe.html

Hey, thanks for that link. That pipe is pretty affordable. I was gonna gut my stocker but think I'll go for the sport pipe, it's about $200 cheaper than most others.   :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.