April 27, 2024, 05:51:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Slipping clutch on 1985 FLHT

Started by Hammerit-, February 01, 2009, 08:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerit-

Hello,
Took the ole girl out for a ride yesterday, noticed slipping in fifth gear.

Looking at the manual, I pulled appart and measured the distance from the clutch adjuster plate and the (I believe)
clutch diaphram.
It appears the clutch diaphram is bowed outward with no measureable gap. 
My manual states to pull the adjuster plate and refit it to get the measurement to .010.

My question is...Is this as straightforward as the manual states?

Also, If my old bike needs a new clutch....Where is the best place to purchase and what should I purchase...example,
a full clutch pack or just the clutch plates...?

Thanks,

Hammerit-
Hammerit-

takwolf

If your oil level is where it should be, and the clutch lever has just a bit of play, you can try backing off the lock nut in the center and adjust the center screw. Usually turn it in till it touches, (just touches), then back it out about a 1/4 turn, and tighten the lock nut. I may be off some, I don't quite remember how much. I'm sure someone will let you know the proper way.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

JohnS_Rosamond

The clutch diaphragm retainer has a whole bunch of holes in it.  Each with a different height to it (I seem to recall they're labeled A, B, and C - I think).  Undo the four retainer bolts, and rotate the retainer to a different set of holes.  Then measure how flat the diaphragm spring is (Harley wants it as close to flat as possible).  If you only need clutch plates, you can get replacements almost anywhere.  However, this clutch is known to have inner hub failures at high mileage.  The four bolt towers will break off at the base, and it may be that you have lost spring tension because of this.  So, check it out.  If it's broken, you'll know it.  If you just need new plates, CCI, drag specialties, V-Twin and a number of other outlets should have them available.

Ajayrk

That model clutch is very sensitive to stack up height.  Your clutch pack has worn to less then the proper stack up height and the spring retainer plate has worn to a point it may not be able to be adjusted to restore the proper spring tension position.  It is best to adjust the spring so that is is at least .010 concave.

At this point new friction and steel plates and a new spring retainer is in order.

I have gotten very good results with Energy One replacement kits which include the steels and the frictions.

http://www.energyoneclutches.com/

Read the tech section as it will define the proper stack up height.  With the proper height and proper spring setting the clutch lever will be easier to pull.  
AJ

Hammerit-

Thanks.

I was able to adjust it and it appears good to go.  It did get me thinking that next time I wont be so lucky....

Thanks again,
awsome information.

Hammerit-

Hammerit-