May 01, 2024, 09:55:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

88 fxrp clutch conversion ??

Started by gottaride, November 05, 2008, 03:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gottaride

Hi there. been reading this site for a long time(back at the msn board) and now just signed up. the ride in question is a -88 fxr
anyways got a question regarding doing a clutch upgrade from 88 to 90 and up clutch basket and to get rid of the tapered mainshaft.i know i need to change the mainshaft and clutch basket. the question is will my starter still line up?? or do i need to replace inner and outer primary and a 90 and newer tranny. i'm hoping i can do it the cheap way(mainshaft, clutchbasket) cause i cant afford to do tranny primary starter etc. any help and input will be appreciated
ride safe
jt

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
We're not here for a long time, just a Good Time!!

Buddy WMC

gottaride,
I have a complete primary drive setup out of a 1993 FXR with 18K miles. Wrinkle black 5-speed with extras including a 33T BDL pulley, new STD inner primary, used chrome outer primary (has a samll scrape under the derby) and a complete primary drive from the compensator to the clutch assembly, 93 starter and jackshaft.

I installed a Baker DD6 about a month ago, removed these and cleaned up the used parts. If interested you can contact me at bexny@embarqmail.com for more details. You can also get with member Dave 113 about my reliability, I do not sell any junk. I also have a listing in the EVO swap meet section.

gottaride

thanx for the offer buddy WMC ..the question still needs to be answered hopefully.. can i do the conversion without replacing everything as mentioned???
thanx
We're not here for a long time, just a Good Time!!

KlingonUltraRider

Quote from: gottaride on November 05, 2008, 03:55:43 PM
Hi there. been reading this site for a long time(back at the msn board) and now just signed up. the ride in question is a -88 fxr
anyways got a question regarding doing a clutch upgrade from 88 to 90 and up clutch basket and to get rid of the tapered mainshaft.i know i need to change the mainshaft and clutch basket. the question is will my starter still line up?? or do i need to replace inner and outer primary and a 90 and newer tranny. i'm hoping i can do it the cheap way(main shaft, clutch basket) cause i cant afford to do tranny primary starter etc. any help and input will be appreciated
ride safe
jt
If you change the main shaft, change it to a 35042-91 (main shaft) and a Competition Clutch Kit. It contains a complete clutch to fit the splined shaft. If you change the starter gear on the clutch basket to the 66 tooth gear, you will not need to change the starter, inner/outer primary.

baldoldfxr

Have you looked at the uprated clutches for the original shaft ? Iv'e fitted the rivera pro clutch which can be bought pretty cheap if you shop around , It works very well & I'm putting a lot more power & torque through mine .

Buddy WMC

He took me up on my offer and has purchased the entire driveline with only 18K + extras out of my 93 FXR. I learned my lesson, make sure you do your homework on shipping costs before quoting someone a price. Otherwise, you wind up giving your parts away. My friend let me use his UPS account, but does not ship out enough every week to get the big break. You need to ship 15+ packages a week and have daily pickup in order to receive the best prices. That's how some of these ebay guys can ship so reasonably. Some of them still get you for a profit as well.

hotham

The 1990 model year is the only year mainshaft that will fit the older transmissions.  Get an Andrews shaft.