April 27, 2024, 05:38:20 AM

News:

Center Motor Mount....Missing?

Started by hdfx78, February 01, 2009, 11:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdfx78

Hello All,
I am new to this board but have found the Shovelhead site very helpful in the past. I am helping my son with a 1978 XLCH basket rebuild. Seems we have the stock swingarm frame. Numbers match motor but I see a couple features that I am not finding on any pictures or bikes that I have been able to reference so far.
The neck has a molded appearance but it is all cast steel. The main concern is that the top motor mount is not on the backbone and there is no sign of it ever  being there.  Your input on this mater is appreciated, I know there will be more questions during this rebuild. Must admit I love this bike already can't wait to fire her up. Thanks Mark HDFX78

fulldress79

Around that time,not sure of when (coulda been '78),they went to a different top motor mount style.The front head and rear head were attached by a "bridge" which looked like the flat part of the earlier motor mount.the rear head had a small mount attached to rocker box bolts that bolted to frame under around the front of the seat area on the frame.the front head (if I remember correctly) attached by a small mount again from the rocker bolts to the front of the frame. I think this was supposed to make a stiffer unit. I remember the rear mount was a PITA. I had a 1980 that had those mounts!

eglideic

The very best money you can spend on this project will be the cost of a Genuine (printed in the late 70s if at all possible and not a catch all reprint) Harley-Davidson Parts Manual for your year and bike model. You'll find the book to be the go to place for solid info on parts and fitment.

hdfx78

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do agree on the manual as well. I have one of those Harley Service Manuals for 70 to 78 Sportster but all the actual procedures for remove and install have been omitted because of the various models covered. I was wondering why the shop the previous owner had do the top end left two extended head bolts on each cylinder. It makes sense now  if that is the actual top mounting method you have described.
Thanks again, it is snowing like hell her in MA. I will make good use of this good old New England winter to get er done.

eglideic

I said PARTS Manual.
A Genuine Harley Service Manual is also a must have, but the Parts Manual will be your Ace in the Hole.

fulldress79

Where are you in Mass.? I'm in Quincy.

hdfx78

I am in the area too, Easton. Bike show this weekend usually has a swap meet area. I will be on the lookout for parts and Parts manual.

fulldress79

Parts books are a must thats true... You can find a lot of reprints on eBay. Thats were I get mine. Yeah this winter stinks :down: