"Bessie" Left Me Stranded/Fixed but don't have a clue.

Started by Skin, August 13, 2012, 05:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skin

Pearl and I took the old girls('69 & '70) to the local bike night this past wednesday. Bessie did fine going, it's only 5 miles away. Anyway, get ready to leave and she wouldn't start. She'd turn over, but wouldn't fire. Tried pushing(no kicker) and still nothing. Pearl goes to get the truck and we take her home. Up on the lift, I see the carb had popped off the adapter. Ok that's an easy fix. Put it back together and still won't start. She kept poping through the carb like it was way out of time. Went through all the timing checks and they were right on. Then pulled the carb back off and checked manifold and fuel flow. No leaks all the o-rings and clamps were in place. Put her all back together and the damn thing started and sounds better than before. I hate it when I fix something and don't have clue what I did to fix it. 

easyricer

Skin when I first installed the CV carb on my 76, i used the rubber adapter on a stock manifold. Every check I made I couldn't find a vacume leak, but she still ran super lean and coughed back really bad. I removed the carb, modified my manifold and JB welded the carb into the S&S manifold. Fixed the problem, but never could prove exactly where it was leaking from.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Skin

The adapter had to have been the problem. I made sure everything went back good and tight. This winter when I tear down the motor, I'll come up with a different way to mount the CV. My Son is a machine tool and die maker so I'll have him come up with a good way to seal that connection.

76shuvlinoff

The solid press-on adapter sealed with a bit of JB for good measure is not going to come apart. You still need a carb support because you don't want to depend on your O rings and clamps to hold it but for my 2 cents it's the only way to go.

- Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway