May 09, 2024, 04:48:33 AM

News:

Which clutch will hold....?

Started by aharp, August 15, 2012, 06:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aharp

Got my Bandit Machineworks Super clutch with lockup a few weeks ago but havent had time to get it in. Got a little time to snap some pics tonight so thought I'd show off my new toy and what an absolute work of ART it is. Shame it's going to be hidden and have a small amount of oil slinging all over it  :emsad:
Notice the difference in surface area on the plates between the Bandit and the POS Screamin Chicken clutch

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

Herko

Aaron, agreed, simple physics at work here, i.e. increased surface area. Let alone the precisioneering of the Bandit units.  :up:
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Jaycee1964

Get yourself an RSD clarity derby cover.  It allows viewing of the clutch in action.  I have one and it's pretty cool..  I love my Bandit clutch too.  Best there is and as easy to pull as stock.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

strokerjlk

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Admiral Akbar

Quotethe POS Screamin Chicken clutch

Seein' as how you don't like it.. I'll take it off your hands for the cost of freight..  :wink:

Max

barny7655

what are the different diameters of the two friction plates,inside to out side , stock seems larger diameter, than the bandit,be interesting to compare the surface area of the two,looks like comparing a 16 inch wheel to a 19 inch wheel with the tyre being the friction material,or does the pic you have taken make it appear this way? a good post lets us all see a view of them both together,a clear cover would be awsome to inspect the clutch ,a inspection cover you dont have to remove , cheers barny
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

aharp

Quote from: barny7655 on August 15, 2012, 10:03:35 PM
what are the different diameters of the two friction plates,inside to out side , stock seems larger diameter, than the bandit,be interesting to compare the surface area of the two,looks like comparing a 16 inch wheel to a 19 inch wheel with the tyre being the friction material,or does the pic you have taken make it appear this way? a good post lets us all see a view of them both together,a clear cover would be awsome to inspect the clutch ,a inspection cover you dont have to remove , cheers barny
Sorry for the lack of a quality comparison pic. The OD of the plates from SE to Bandit is the same but the Bandit plates measure 4.25" ID and the SE plates measure 5.00"

FSG

that is roughly an extra 5.3 square inches per side per plate

Hillside Motorcycle

John Magee had that cold, many years back, which is why everyone that went fast, had one.
With the advent of these larger/powerful engine combos of today, that dragstrip-concieved clutch, has moved to street use.
If you didn't run one of those at the track, you'd be better off staying on the trailer.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

TXChop

Hope you got that chain kit on!  :wink:
Looks good. Keep us posted.

JohnCA58

Got the bandit  basket and clutch set up,   great set up,  grey spring with 2 shims holding my 120 just fine.   :up:
YOLO

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

HighLiner

What's a clutch like that set you back ($$$)?

biggzed

Does all that fit in a stock primary case?

Zach

Jaycee1964

http://banditmachineworks.com/  I think mine ran under $600ish
All fits in the primary, pulls like a stock cluth IMO and never slips.. grey springs and two .050 shims.
haven't heard of anyone complaining about em at all.  Love mine
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

prodrag1320

your not going to need the lock up,it wont fit enclosed anyway,but i agree,BANDIT stuff is VERY nice stuff!!

JohnCA58

I agree,  you wont need the lock up.   I did have grind inner primary to clear the chain, and grind the nubs on the outside primary where the derby covers bolts go.   :chop:
YOLO

prodrag1320

:agree:when checking clearance on the derby screws,remember to pull the clutch in (thats when the pressure plate will make contact)

HighLiner

Can you run Formula + with that clutch?

aharp

This set up with the heavy duty basket, hub, lockup, etc was $2k. I am running the recommended 14oz of Golden Spectro 80 for chain lube. As for the lockup, I have it so I will install it when I get around to getting a Barnett primary cover for it (who knows, it may end up with reworked B2's on it and need it  :wink:). I haven't had a chance to get it on the dyno yet but the overall performance is unbelievable. The disengagement is perfect, shifting is much smoother and it engages so much cleaner/smoother than any other clutch I have used.

HighLiner

How's that Golden Spectro effect the current rash of compensator issues?

aharp

Quote from: HighLiner on August 23, 2012, 04:51:54 PM
How's that Golden Spectro effect the current rash of compensator issues?
This is a 2000 model year with the original comp assembly 100k+ miles on it so I have no idea ;D