May 09, 2024, 06:30:38 AM

News:

Multi Bike Insurance

Started by Harpo, August 16, 2012, 10:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Currently have four HD's.  Only have liability insurance coverage - no theft, collision, etc. coverage at all.  Since I'm the only person that rides these bikes (not married, no children living with me, none of my friends borrow, etc.), and since I can only ride one at a time, why is it that I need to have a full insurance policy on each and every bike? 

I know the REAL answere (money), and I know that this is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but my question is based on common sense (I know - it's not that common).  Shouldn't I have the same coverage no matter which bike I swing my leg over that morning?  I could see a separate policy if for instance I had theft coverage, I mean the bikes could be stolen out of my garage at any time, thus the need to cover each and every one separately.  But liability coverage only comes into play when you are actually out riding.  There's no liability for the other bikes sitting in your garage, only for the one you're riding at the moment.

Maybe someone knows of an insurance company that isn't soley fixated on getting the most money from you as possible (HAH!), and they actually work with people with situations like this.  Or maybe someone has a viable reason that explains it well, because I sure can't.  Thanks guys.

Old Crow

That wouldn't work in Arkansas.  You have to show proof of insurance to get tags on the bike.
Not an insurance company requirement, a state requirement.
BTW, if you buy insurance, renew the tags and let the insurance lapse at the first payment, it *will* show up on the computer if a cop runs your tags.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Hogman

Jeez, Good Luck with This man. You are Right though, Common sense Left Most, MANY Years ago.
I'm going to Try to follow this thread as much as I can, even though I live in Canada, Home of the Screw EVERYBODY on Insurance, Companies, I Might see some answers that could Perhaps Make sense to ask about over here. Most people in my Age and Safe driving Category, and similar year & Model Bikes, pay from $900.00, to $1,200.00 a year, and That does not always include Any Special coverages, (Theft, Collision etc)
We have this absolutely ridiculous piece in our Insurance, (For At Least Ontario), that is called the Uninsured Motorist coverage, or Something like that, that costs us the Most amount of Money here. Typical Price of Around $800.00 on an Eleven hundred dollar Insurance Premium. Not Everyone can Collect it, but It's Mandatory for EVERYONE! I Pay it on my Bike, P/U, and family Van, and because I'm disabled, I have been told by Every insurance Co. I looked into, I Can Not Collect it if I Needed to! Yeah, Right!
Anyways, as I said, Good Luck, and Wouldn't it be Great if You Could Find something that made Sense about insurance Co.
Hogman

Ohio HD

Because, you're not insuring yourself, you're insuring the vehicle. Whether it be full coverage or not. Different vehicles get different rates.

Breeze

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 16, 2012, 11:24:03 AM
Because, you're not insuring yourself, you're insuring the vehicle. Whether it be full coverage or not. Different vehicles get different rates.

That still doesn't make common sense. I have been bitchin' about the same thing for years on my 3 HD's.  Charge me the highest liability rate of any bike, but ONLY 1 bike. I'll pay theft and collision on each gladly, because they can each be stolen or crashed. But ONLY one can be ridden at a time by me, so I should only pay 1 liability fee. Same for cars and trucks. I can own 1 vehicle and drive 100,000 miles a year for 1 premium. If I own 4 vehicles and drive a total of 20,000 (or any number) miles, I have to pay 4 premiums.  Most health insurance premiums are for Single or family, not dependent on how many are in the family. I pay the same for wife and I, as my neighbor does for 5 kids.   
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

kik

Quote from: Harpo on August 16, 2012, 10:49:22 AM
Currently have four HD's.  Only have liability insurance coverage - no theft, collision, etc. coverage at all.  Since I'm the only person that rides these bikes (not married, no children living with me, none of my friends borrow, etc.), and since I can only ride one at a time, why is it that I need to have a full insurance policy on each and every bike? 

I know the REAL answere (money), and I know that this is probably just wishful thinking on my part, but my question is based on common sense (I know - it's not that common).  Shouldn't I have the same coverage no matter which bike I swing my leg over that morning?  I could see a separate policy if for instance I had theft coverage, I mean the bikes could be stolen out of my garage at any time, thus the need to cover each and every one separately.  But liability coverage only comes into play when you are actually out riding.  There's no liability for the other bikes sitting in your garage, only for the one you're riding at the moment.

Maybe someone knows of an insurance company that isn't soley fixated on getting the most money from you as possible (HAH!), and they actually work with people with situations like this.  Or maybe someone has a viable reason that explains it well, because I sure can't.  Thanks guys.

Ok you own 4 different HD's. You need a policy that covers all 4 bikes because how is the INS co. going to know which bike you've decided to ride on any particular day?? They are insuring the bike. Not you, unless of course you've decided to carry medical coverage. Say you have a sporty, a bagger, a roadglide and a softail. Each bike is worth a different amount of money to replace if it get's totaled. Each bike can do a different amount of damage to whatever you hit because of size and weight. The insurance companies go by horsepower, they go by your age, how long you've been riding, how many tickets you've accumalated or the last 5 years and your credit rating, where you live, ect, ect. If you really want one policy, go to your insurance agent tell him you want the same coverage on all 4 bikes or tell him the different coverages you want on the 4 bikes under one policy. I myself have one policy with full coverage on the HD and Kaw and 100 / 300 thou liability coverage on the Yammy. My total policy is $587.00 per year with $1000 ded for all 3 bikes. It's a heck of a lot better than my home owners insurance wich just got hit with a 35% increase and I've never made a claim ever.

Jlbruggs

This may sound really f'd up but if one of the bikes your not riding gets stolen and does damage you could still be held liable. Right or wrong I'm not defending the ins comp but there just covering there collective a--es !

Lakerat

Agreed,it's a scam. Motorcycles don't cause a wreck that would be covered by liability, the rider does. I insure 3 cages and 2 Harleys, bad enough that I have to tag all of them, that part I understand. I get multiple car and bike rates, but it doesn't go down any more after 2.
PGR  92 FXLR 97 FLHTCU (RIP) 98 FLHTCUI 95th Anniversary Now Carbed

notlost_nc

Have you talked to Hagerty.com ?   Depending on your yearly mileage may be an option.
84 FLTC
05 FLHTCUI

76shuvlinoff

If I was overloaded with insurance issues I'd pick a bike, maybe two, and put storage insurance on the rest till better times.

I recently dropped Progressive and went to Auto-Owners. I have higher coverages at $90 less a year. If I call them and tell them I am going to store a bike it drops to $50 for 6 months.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

garyajaz

i have 6 licensed vehicles.  alone no other drivers/riders use any of them.
just sent off big check to insurance company.
asked same question.  why cant i buy ins that covers anythning i drive.
oh she said.  laughing, we then would not have you write such a big check now would we.

so there it is.

Admiral Akbar

I've got 5 licensed bikes, a big truck, compact car for the wife.. I don't carry collision on the bikes but carry comprehensive and liability.. The insurance for all the above vehicles is about the same as the  comprehensive and liability on my son's 02 Jeep wrangler..  Another interesing tidbit is that the registration on the bikes is about the same as the insurance..  :cry: (Live in california)

Max

Ohio HD

Yeah, I understand that, my son lives in Cali, and I used to live in Phoenix, pretty pricey license plates!

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wicked

It don't hurt to ask around the insurance companys. I normally got 3 or 4 bikes on the road at any given time, so I asked my rep about it. Said he didn't know, but would ask those he brokers for. I'm in Canada, but Metro General Insurance allowed it! Just PL/PD, they wanted the info on the one driven most, and it cost me 25% more than just one bike. When all got changed over to a standard garage policy, all weere still covered.

NETacomaFatboy

Yeah, I insure 2 bikes and I get ganged raped every year.

06 SE Fatboy & 10 RG = $1,000 a year.

Sonny S.

I've been with Progressive for 23 years for my bikes only. Have Allstate for home/auto.
been talking to my Allstate agent about my bikes. They are finally getting in the game.
awesome coverage including "trip interruption ". You break down away from home and there is $750 to cover hotels and such. I tour so that is a sweet deal.

sfmichael

Something wrong with the insurance biz when I call 2 companies and one quotes me $1300 and the other quotes me $300 for the same coverage.

For the record the expensive one was Foremost and the cheaper one was Dairyland. AND I only called Foremost because on the last insurance thread someone had mentioned what a great deal they were getting from Foremost, I'd never heard of them. Apparently I live in the wrong state.

No real discount though for multiple bikes with Dairyland, bummed me out. Like everyone's said, can't ride em both at the same time.

Something ain't right when there's that much of a disparity in cost for the same damn thing.
Colorado Springs, CO.

KatalogKarl

:pop: only to express my .02 here. I had a problem with just 2 bikes and i have 3. I called everyone under the sun. same  response as I got as most read here and i am in Florida. Progressive was high and foremost was out there. Called Hagerty but a DUI in my past (2007) keeps me from them or any company when I tried to insure mine as classics to boot. (1977-1982-1987 scoots). So I also ended up with Dairyland. Now they aren't to best either. No collision or theft allowed because of age of bikes. But i got $535.00 for 2 bikes with 100/300k liability and 50k damage and uninsured motorist and stacked that and medical so I can ride helmetless here in the Sunshine state. As i was told the most expensive part of the damn policies are the medical and uninsured part. Ridiculous as the insurance companies got ya by the gonads and ones credit score can really make the price skyrocket. I wonder if one was a dealer of cycles ( as like a car dealer or auctioneer) i remember transporter plates there coverage was all inclusive no matter what vehicle the tag was on. I know that might no fly but what does one do??? 

Winston Wolf

I have a half dozen or so older bikes. I insure them all with a stated value, collector class through State Farm. I pay around 100-120$/year for each bike with full coverage and almost no(50$) deductible. I also put collector class plates on everything once it gets 20 years old. Then I don't have to pay any registration either. In Minnesota they let you put original license plates on vehicles if you can find the correct year, so they look cool too. Might be an option to look at if you have older bikes.

mikew

I agree with the logic disconnect, but if you license the vehicle each must have evidence of insurance. If you don't license it insurance is not required. It is as much of a state requirement as it is an insurance requirement. What if one of your bikes were stolen and caused injury to an innocent party, you'd probably want the protection.

smittyon66

Shop around, just make sure you're comparing apples to apples in coverage.
When I went from 2 bikes to 3, the company I had at that time was going to charge me $600 per year for the third bike. That rate was more than I was paying for both my other bikes.
Another company covered the 3rd bike for $120 per year  for the same coverage.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

Jaycee1964

I have no idea why you all are paying so much?  I have 2 bikes on my policy. 02 heritage and an 06 deluxe.  I have full coverage and only pay $488 for a year thru progressive.  Maybe it's cheaper in my state?
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

truck

Quote from: Jaycee1964 on August 18, 2012, 04:42:08 PM
I have no idea why you all are paying so much?  I have 2 bikes on my policy. 02 heritage and an 06 deluxe.  I have full coverage and only pay $488 for a year thru progressive.  Maybe it's cheaper in my state?
Up there in the north land you guys can only ride 2 month out of the year so the rates are lower. :smilep:
Is full coverage the minimum required by the state?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

dunbarton

and what does "full coverage" mean?
Usually rates are different from area to area let alone between states. ie the cost to insure a vehicle in NYC isn't the same as in the backwoods of Arkansas because the likelihood of an accident is much greater in NYC so the rate is higher.
I live in suburban Toronto. The rate jumps an average of 30% higher 1 mile nearer the city than I live my insurance agent told me.

Jaycee1964

Quote from: dunbarton on August 18, 2012, 05:09:24 PM
and what does "full coverage" mean?
Usually rates are different from area to area let alone between states. ie the cost to insure a vehicle in NYC isn't the same as in the backwoods of Arkansas because the likelihood of an accident is much greater in NYC so the rate is higher.
I live in suburban Toronto. The rate jumps an average of 30% higher 1 mile nearer the city than I live my insurance agent told me.

I ride all year long as long as there is no ice.  I am out in the sticks so perhaps the theft part is not as much an issue.  Full coverage means, fire,, theft, collision, comprehensive, towing, rental.. yada, yada.  $100 deductable
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.