April 27, 2024, 08:08:59 PM

News:

Compression Reliefs and Kick Start

Started by tiburontropic, February 01, 2009, 07:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiburontropic

Anyone here have compression reliefs and kick start. I am switching from electric start to kick start to due the complications I have had. How well do the compression reliefs help with kick start?

verson22

Tell us more about the complications. Space? Eating starters?

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: tiburontropic on February 01, 2009, 07:21:04 PM
Anyone here have compression reliefs and kick start. I am switching from electric start to kick start to due the complications I have had. How well do the compression reliefs help with kick start?

What is your compression ratio?  Unless you are over 9.5:1 (give or take a little) kick starting should be easy without compression reliefs.  In fact, I'd almost think that compression releases might make kick starting harder.  It's hard to kick start a bike with low compression.  My panhead is 8.5:1 and requires hardly any effort to kick start.  A stock shovel is what... 8.0:1?

-Craig

Trouble

I'm running 10.75 : 1 compression and an Andrews B grind cam. No problems with kick starting. No comp releases. Some overlap in valve timing helps make it easier to kick start.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

shovelbill

i don't think you can kick start a bike with compression releases.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

poorbiker

Can if your able to kick it as fast as a starter.....lol, Maybe just release the pressure from one cyl. ? You shouldnt even need them.
"Effort takes no talent"

randallwhitman

Another problem is that the releases that are incorporated into the sparkplug are supposedly crap.....they don't hold up.  The only other way to have them is to machine the heads as though you were installing dual plugs.  If I were going to that much trouble, I'd put in the extra plugs and forget about compression releases.  I've never heard of anyone having a really hard time kicking over a shovel.  You could always buy a longer kicker arm.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

tiburontropic

February 05, 2009, 05:46:50 PM #7 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:51:09 PM by tiburontropic
The main problem with the bike is that the 1.4kw starter won't turn the bike over if a cylinder is on compression. I have a Big Boar 350cca battery and 2ga cables. Checked runout on clutch and it checked out fine. I have 193psi cylinder pressure hot. I am running dual plug STD heads. No matter what I do to the solenoid, it keeps arcing the contacts and only get 9-10 volts to the battery. I have purchased many different solenoids, shimmed the plunger and nothing has helped. Thats why I am considering compression reliefs and kick start. The bike will turn over if I take one spark plug out.

crazycanadian

All you need is decompressors!

Throw that stock stater mechanismn in the garbage! I have a 93incher with 230lbs cranking compression, I had an all balls starter and it was so so.. I put that on the shelf bought an ulitma 1.4 complete assembly.. used car amp fine strand wire for cables..big thick "Potty mouth".. and a big boar battery.. with decompressors to release the pressure to get it to turn over it'll wheel over like ten men.. You ain't gonna kick over 193lbs of cranking compression.. unless your 290lbs or got one helluva kicker pedel

shovelbill

try grounding the starter itself in addition to the stock ground. maybe you should check the brushes in the starter, shot brushes could make it act weak too.......

crazycanadian

That a very common problem tho Bill , thats why those heads have decompressors in them.. the 1.4 kw starter just don't have the grunt to get the motor to wheel over when it's stopped on the compression stroke.

The ultima seems to have a bit better gearing package and is whole better gear set up than stock. But with that much cylinder pressure you need reliefs to get it start turning.

That hot 89 incher that made 110hp evo starter wouldnt turn over either if it stopped on the compression stroke... put a 2kw starter in it .. now you can drive down road on starter if u wanted hahah.

shovelbill

Oh, i know Mike.that's why i just threw the starter stuff out, made some cover plates and just kicked away,  before those little buttons came out mainstream. but if i wanted an e-starter i would have exhausted all possibilities before throwing in the towel....not sure, but i think you could also bypass the solenoid with that billet pull starter thing from v-twin. i saw one in person, looks like a quality part.

tiburontropic

I was look at running Tech Cycle 2.0kW starter. Ayone run one of these. If so how does it interfer with a Cow Pie tranny? I run a All Balls and it just doesn't cut it. I am only running a 82" motor and a Leineweber cam. I just think its the cylinder pressure killing me.

crazycanadian

ooo they have a 2kw starter out???..
It's just the cylinder pressure , I've got evo's that do same thing if they stop on the compression stroke..
Either gotta get releases in there or bigger starter.. 2kw would make a substancial dif ,
I found using high quality stereo amp fine strand wire.. thick asyou can get made a difference for me to.. and make sure those ends soldered on good .. lotsa solder

greenshovel0014

that v twin solenoind manual plunger  was the worst 160 bux i ever spent...................DONT BUY ONE.  Its  plastic  crome of course made in cambodia.and reqires all the stock hardware new style solenoid and an old style solenoid.  a wiring rats nest. :wtf:

greenshovel0014

new style relay ..and old style relay I meant . wired to operate together. fking junk!

monty101

Wow, 399 bucks and you can strap on a 2kw starter:

http://www.techcycle.com/pricing.html#starters

I wish I had one. I got a 170 lbs. comp on a 89 incher with a 350 cca battery and she has to be kick started whenever I first start her after she's set a week or so. I keep the battery on a tender too. I always wondered if the all balls starter on it has less kw than the all balls I have on my 96 incher that has a 6 speed and 190 lbs of compression. It starts no problem and thank God for that because it hasn't got a kicker. Both run a B cam. Anybody know what the chances are that the all balls on the 6 speed would have more kw than the all balls starter on the 4 speed. If they have the same kw the 350cca battery on the 89 incher may be weaker than the 350 cca battery on the 96 incher....