May 02, 2024, 06:17:04 AM

News:

Primary knock

Started by fdrdr1, November 05, 2008, 04:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdrdr1

Knock from primary when I let off the throttle. Throttle up or pull the clutch and no knock. The chain is adjusted to HD spec (5/8-7/8), but is at the high end of 7/8in. Clutch basket/compensator bolts are torqued to spec. I will adjust the chain closer to 5/8 and see what happens - not sure what a too loose chain would sound like. Any other ideas. Thx
DG

Trip

Tighten the chain...how many miles on the compensator and what is it torqued to>?

Traveler733

It could be loose spines on your rotor, or loose magnets in the rotor. Charging ok?

dave_9113

Compensator torque is 150-165 ft. lbs. Clutch hub nut is 70-80 ft. lbs.  (left hand).  Compensator nut loose would be a consistent knocking.  Sure not the a loose belt hitting the belt cover.  Sound travels.

dave

fdrdr1

Compensator has 50k on it and is torqued to 160. Only a consistent knock when off the throttle (when throttling up or when I pull the clutch in I have no issues). I will tighten the chain and take a look for any rotor wobble (charging fine though), as well as re-check the clutch basket bolt. I am pretty sure it is not a loose belt - but I will check again and maybe even lose the belt cover to see if that makes any difference. The knock is coming from the front left inside of the primary and I am not sure what a loose chain would sound like. Thanks for the input and I will keep you posted.

pappyfreebird

that sure sounds like a loose comp nut..was  she jambed up good when tightund

96dynabagger

I'd tighten the chain, that's pretty loose at the far end of the spec.
Recheck for knock.  I'm betting it'll be gone.   ;D

bigblock6912

loose chain will slap in top of primary at idle or when backing off throttle. usually makes shifting a little more difficult if sloppy also.

fdrdr1

Did not tighten up the primary chain yet as I found the shoe pretty loose. I am waiting for delivery of a clutch release plate as I found that to be stripped. Once everything is buttoned up I hope the loose chain shoe was causing the knock. Everything else was torqued to spec.
DG

fdrdr1

This has been a long process for me and I am not getting anywhere. I have tightened the chain, checked the torque on the sprocket and clutch basket. So, I put it on the jack, pull the primary and when I rotate the rear wheel, I hear a knock from what sounds like maybe the trans, pulley or belt (only when rotating the rear tire forward). Checked the belt tension and it is within spec. So now I thinking about pulling the inner primary and digging deeper. Anyone have ideas or have experienced this problem. This all started with a knock from the primary after letting off the throttle, now I am thinking I may have two different issues. Thanks

bigblock6912

possibly the tranny sprocket