May 02, 2024, 11:13:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

shovel cylinders

Started by ridgerider, February 02, 2009, 08:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridgerider

i have a 1968 shovel and the rear cylinder has cracked at the base...i found a set of 1978 cylinders on fleabay...will this bolt up and fit?  forsee any problems doing this

Thanks

vern

it seems to me that thoes cylinders are the same if they are 74 inch, but the base was made thicker for the 80 inch because of the cracking issue.  vern

baldoldfxr

Just check the base flange thickness ,the late 74" motors had 80" type barrels, your studs may not be long enough,
you can tell them apart by the number of fins , but I can't remember which has what.
I'm sure some one on here can tell you, or maybe an 80" owner can count them for you.

Hybredhog

You'll have to either replace the studs with longer units (approx.3/8"), or pull & remount yours with loctite, replacement is best. Also you should use late style 9/16" head nuts with the stock "wedge" washers.
   As for bore, if your lucky, you've got 74" barrels they stat at 3.438", but if you have 80" barrels, they start out life at 3.498", and are .060 over 74" size, not a whole lot of life left in them for overbores. ...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH