April 28, 2024, 12:33:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'85 FLHT Primary oil level

Started by Hammerit-, February 02, 2009, 10:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerit-

Searched the internet and this site...only found some capacity info and it all differs.

What is a good point to see the primary fluid level is correct. 
I added a qaurt.  The oil level is just covering the bottom of the diaphragm spring edge. 
Is this correct...? 

Its a 1985 FLHTC, 1348cc Evo.

Thanks.

H
Hammerit-

Ajayrk

AJ

Hammerit-

Well, That is what my manual stated however these levels appear to be quite controversial.

Appreciate the confirmation.

Thanks.

Hammerit-
Hammerit-

TheSwede

Hi Hammerit,,,the old amount oil was 1.5 qts in our
old EVO,,but have being changed to just 1 qts
so some old manuals have the wrong amount

Best Regards
TheSwede

Hammerit-

Damn it!  Now I have to drain 1/2 qt out.  It rode okay with the 1.5 in it....
Hammerit-

Ajayrk

No, you don' have to drain any out.  The later model primary is different than the early model primary.  I think1993 an up use the one qt.  The clutch is different, the spring is smaller in diameter and the primary cover is a little smaller.  Although I have seen a few that run a qt. and don't seem to have any problems.

Were you able to resolve your slipping problems?
AJ

still_havinfun

my manual on the 89flhtcu states that with the bike upright the oil should be even with the bottom part of the dirby cover hole and on mine it takes 2 qts so that is what i have used forever.

Hammerit-

Cool.
The qt & 1/2 took it about half an inch above the bottom edge of the diaphragm spring.  I could see how a half qt more would take to the bottom of the derby opening. 

Slipping prob fixed.  Was able to rotate the adjuster plate and get the proper clearance.

Should last another 10k, then pretty sure she gets a new clutch.

I have an 06 FLHT with the 95kit...and access (sits next to mine) a 99 fxdwg with a hot set up.  But I Love riding this old Evo..I will do what ever it takes to keep her on the road.

Just rode her into town and got my license renewed.  Ran great.

Thank you.
Thank you.

Hammerit-

Hammerit-

JohnS_Rosamond

Yeah, don't be fooled by the later model primary numbers.  Our primary takes 1.5 quarts.  If you're on the side stand it may actually drip out, but with the bike straight up, you'll see it's okay.  However, there is one level change that was retroactive.  Transmission.  In our manuals it states that the transmission oil dip stick should be threaded all the way in (to read FULL).  However, later on Harley decided that there should be just a little more oil in the trans.  So, when you check the fluid, the dip stick should just set on top of the threaded hole, but not be threaded in.  So the bottom of the dipstick should touch the metal, but not twisted into the threaded area.  This gives you just a couple more ounces.

Glad to hear that you could re-position the adjuster plate to fix the slip.

elvislee

Ok fella's...My good buddy ClassicRider2002 tells me to put 1qt in my 99 Evo primary. I did that yesterday and do not question his advice as I trust him completely. Now, with that said, after reading all these posts, I wonder if someone were to put up to the 44 oz's the service manual for my bike calls for; would or could it cause any damage?

Suppose someone else who doesn't have the knowledge or expertise and follows the manuals quantities as prescribed and puts the 38-44 oz's what effect will it have in the operation of the primary? Asking this cause I don't know any better and curious why the difference in quantities from the manual and the 1qt quantity?

Riverside Joe

I've ran oil as per the manual, ie up right, to the bottom of the derby opening (42-48 oz aprox) with no abby normal problems. That's a 86 primary with 86 inards and 86 specs. Things changed around 89? with a different clutch basket and inner primary and the servicing was to the bottom of the clutch basket. Also, the FL's, with the exception of the fatboy, have the FXR type shorter primary, rubber mounting if I remember right.  Over servicing may blow by a seal so I would highly recommend you not exceed the manual spec but 1 quart, or a qt and a half is your call and neither is bad or real bad for your primary. I can spare the exta $ for another qt.---------RJ
RFFR

JohnS_Rosamond

Minor overfilling wont do much more than create more drag on the rotating parts.  The primary is sealed, but it is not air tight.  The centre of the clutch, where the pushrod sits, actually "vents" the primary through the transmission.  However, overfilling the primary isn't a good practice.  All Softails (Heritage and Fatboy incl.) have the "long" primary housing like the Dyna model line.  The Touring bikes all have the shorter FXR type primary.  Best to use your manual for the specified amount.  One caveat was that at a certain time 2005?? (Twin Cam time) was that Harley began cutting down on the recommended primary fluid amount.  I believe that it was recommended 26 or so ounces.  I refused to put so little fluid in and went with the more standard 1 quart (not a lot more).  The owner kinda freaked out on me like the parimary was gonna Exxon-Valdez on him, but he reported no problems running the 1 quart during the service interval.

EagleFTE

Apparently I'm on the odd side.  Don't know about a 85 but for later models like my 94 or my 05 the shop manual goes as far as to repeatedly show the fill level with respect to the diaphram.  I never use a set amount in onces but simply poor in until it reaches the level as shown in the manual.  I do use a lift so the bike is level without me holding it .  So if filling on the side stand I guess one might just want to pour in a set amount without inspecting to see that it is correct.

elvislee

Quote from: EagleFTE on February 08, 2009, 04:56:18 PM
Apparently I'm on the odd side.  Don't know about a 85 but for later models like my 94 or my 05 the shop manual goes as far as to repeatedly show the fill level with respect to the diaphram.  I never use a set amount in onces but simply poor in until it reaches the level as shown in the manual.  I do use a lift so the bike is level without me holding it .  So if filling on the side stand I guess one might just want to pour in a set amount without inspecting to see that it is correct.

Yep, that's what my SM shows also. I went the 1 qt route. Asked my bro-law today what he does with his 99 Evo in his 89 Fxr? He does as you do and fills till it reaches the bottom of the diaphram and like you dosen't even concern himself with how much.