114 ci Stroker vs 114 ci Monster bore ( 4 " stroke)

Started by sacbluescat, September 02, 2012, 08:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sacbluescat

September 02, 2012, 08:31:18 AM Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:38:20 AM by sacbluescat
I'm helping my buddy Scot put his new Revolution 114 monster bore motor together. The build retained the stock 4 inch stroke, timkin bearing conversion, crank /flywheels welded plugged, trued & balance, stage 3 heads, tman 630 cams, Hp 55 TB,Feuling.cam plate & oil pump, Boarzilla pipe w/ quite baffle, Bob will be tunning @ Rc Cycle. We hope to have it up and running for street vibes Reno ! It will be interesting to run our bikes against each other, my build is in the dyno section, 114 build, Deweys heads by Don, Woods cams , Suppertrap exhaust 130 tq & 125 hp , 125 tq & 2,500 rpm's  :wink:

trex

I've Bookmarked this. I'm a believer in stock stroke and big bore but without any actual motor building experience so I am interested in both your evaluations after the motor is broke in and you can compare.

JohnCA58

Good luck on getting it ready for Street Vibration,  was just in Sparks yesterday for the bbq cook off.  Hi 395 construction in Reno is still a mess and need to find a better route,    Be interesting to see the results of both bikes together.   :up:
YOLO

JohnCA58

Dave,  could not send a pm,  your box if full.   send me your e mail in pm and will answer back  :up:
YOLO

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: trex on September 02, 2012, 08:40:50 AM
I've Bookmarked this. I'm a believer in stock stroke and big bore but without any actual motor building experience so I am interested in both your evaluations after the motor is broke in and you can compare.

3/16 bore versus 3/8 in stroke.. Wonder which will blow the headgasket first..  :scratch:

Max

Showdog75

Quote from: Max Headflow on September 02, 2012, 01:28:08 PM
Quote from: trex on September 02, 2012, 08:40:50 AM

3/16 bore versus 3/8 in stroke.. Wonder which will blow the headgasket first..  :scratch:

Max

Max are you a lawyer? Reason I ask is you seem to only ask questions that which you most likely already know the answer. Just curious,lol.

aharp

I like the idea of a short stroke/big bore set up but do not believe the gaskets will hold up.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

hogasm

30k on one build 56k on the other  :chop:
no gasket problems as of yet :nix:
guess I just jinxed myself :wtf:
04 SEEG
02 FLHTC

sharkoilfield

A few years ago when my cases were split ('01 88") and final decisions had to be made, one look at the bigger bore pistons made me go with what is now "just" a 103...there's hardly any piston skirt on some of those slugs...I wasn't confident they would give me the "life" I wanted out of my build...and much more stroke means less RPM; I'm not bouncing it off the limiter on every shift but it's nice to know there's a few more RPM available in a given gear...had a 120R for 3 days; nice package; wouldn't mind one of those in my Dyna...anyhow; if I split the cases on my current 103 ('08 FXDF) it would be for a pair of 113" cylinders and a better crank.

aharp

Quote from: hogasm on September 03, 2012, 07:44:46 AM
30k on one build 56k on the other  :chop:
no gasket problems as of yet :nix:
guess I just jinxed myself :wtf:
These are on 4.25" bores?

sacbluescat

Aharp ; the stroker (mine) is a 4.090 bore vs the 4.250 on the Monster bore .

CVOThunder

May 14, 2020, 11:22:24 AM #12 Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:35:00 AM by CVOThunder
Ok so this is like 8 years old and looks like the 114 or 4.250 bore on a 4" stroke idea kinda died around 2010.  I remember reading about it recently where the 131 was considered but the bore and stroke was answered with the piston would just be a disk with rings. As TorQuePimp's last answer on this, 4.250 on a stock block is a no-go. I'm thinking that the bore is just too large and has spigot interference more than stroke being an issue.

The piston being just a disk has me wondering about the 124 vs 117 with the longer stroke. Tons of 124's out there and my go to idea for a future engine but just curious about reliability vs the 117 and shorter stroke. Not sure why I'm even questioning this as the 124 would have been nixed along time ago if it wasn't reliable.
I can see where the M8 can come up with bigger bores as well as using an S&S block for the TC. Just think the 114 would be a good combo but if base gaskets don't seal up then not an option on the stock block as mentioned. Any recent changes on this or sill the same answer?

Still like the 124 idea, just thinking out loud. Ray and others wouldn't have gone this route if there were concerns. I need to find that post on the 131/thin piston replies. Ahhh, now I see why the 107 came about. 4.125x4.0 should move along pretty well. Just being crazy and considering options if I go to an S&S crank or have Dark Horse rework something. Not sure where I wanna go in that arena but still thinking S&S.

:horse:
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

turboprop

Quote from: CVOThunder on May 14, 2020, 11:22:24 AM
Ok so this is like 8 years old and looks like the 114 or 4.250 bore on a 4" stroke idea kinda died around 2010.  I remember reading about it recently where the 131 was considered but the bore and stroke was answered with the piston would just be a disk with rings. As TorQuePimp's last answer on this, 4.250 on a stock block is a no-go. I'm thinking that the bore is just too large and has spigot interference more than stroke being an issue.

The piston being just a disk has me wondering about the 124 vs 117 with the longer stroke. Tons of 124's out there and my go to idea for a future engine but just curious about reliability vs the 117 and shorter stroke. Not sure why I'm even questioning this as the 124 would have been nixed along time ago if it wasn't reliable.
I can see where the M8 can come up with bigger bores as well as using an S&S block for the TC. Just think the 114 would be a good combo but if base gaskets don't seal up then not an option on the stock block as mentioned. Any recent changes on this or sill the same answer?

Still like the 124 idea, just thinking out loud. Ray and others wouldn't have gone this route if there were concerns. I need to find that post on the 131/thin piston replies. Ahhh, now I see why the 107 came about. 4.125x4.0 should move along pretty well. Just being crazy and considering options if I go to an S&S crank or have Dark Horse rework something. Not sure where I wanna go in that arena but still thinking S&S.

:horse:

The owner of Axtell runs a 4" stroke 107" in his bagger. He could build any engine he wants, and chose this. Speaks volumes. But, he also runs a 4.250" x 4" stroke on an oem case in his street dyna that he also runs at Bonneville. Also speaks volumes.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

aharp

Am I the only one that flinches when I see my name in an 8 year old thread?  :SM:

CVOThunder

May 15, 2020, 08:19:49 AM #15 Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:37:45 PM by CVOThunder
Good point turboprop. aharp, nope not the only one.  :hyst:

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,112232.25.html
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

TorQuePimp

Still a big no on the 4.25 bore.....with stock cases

S&S no problem,with a spread bolt pattern

Jim's cases less of a problem

I'm a 117 fan....for alot of reasons

Hillside Motorcycle

.0615" additional on a side is an apocolypse??? :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
OK.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

TorQuePimp

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on May 16, 2020, 03:42:32 AM
.0615" additional on a side is an apocolypse??? :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
OK.

Never said that....or implied it

I don't do them

Plenty of other combinations available .....most work better