April 28, 2024, 12:57:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Problems never seem to end

Started by Rodney_C, February 02, 2009, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney_C

OK guys so I rebuilt my starter and got it put back on it fired up then I went to start and ride it the other day and nothin, so I took the starter back off re checked everything (loose wires, contacts,brushes, relay) I put it all back together, recharged the battery and I still got a click, click.  What else is there to check someone please give a brother a hand..

blisterbut

hi Rodney i had the same problem last year it turned out to be a bad battery . take your battery to the auto parts and have them load test it  good luck Blister.

Dawgtired

Hey Rodney, every time I get the problem its burnt contacts on the relay, fit a new one and away she goes.
Good luck,
Dawg.

BKACHE

To check if it is a relay - jump a wire from + battery terminal to the little post in the solenoid.
If you don't want to be stranded put a piece of spring steel (like an old hacksaw blade) on the power side of the solenoid and press it to the center post to get it to engage. If the solenoid does not engage then the prob is not the relay.
Dan

Old Crow

On my '82 FLT I discovered that all the current to the starter relay goes through the ignition switch.  I wired a second relay so that the switch actually turns on the second relay, which provides power to the stock relay straight from the battery.  Threw away the starter button the previous owner had hung on the end of the starter.  Oh, and the voltmeter in the dash reads correctly now, where it read low before.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

baldoldfxr

Might be worth checking the starter motor on the bench, make sure you have a good hold of it as they can jump around a bit.

Rodney_C

ok fount out that I wasn't that good at rebuildin a starter, and it was bad :wtf: so I purchased a new used one off of ebay ....and well the starter was spinning yet again (YEAH!!) but the starter gear wasn't kickin in...so here I go again, I took the primary off and low and behold a BAD starter gear...hopin everything starts this time once I get that fixed.

76shuvlinoff

Hang  in there, once the bugs are out you will have a good running shovel. Those that know will admire you for it
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Rodney_C

got the new gear and everything was turning over...finally!!!, but then I starte3d smelling something burning so I got to looking and the cable from the solenoid to the positive side of the battery seemed to be smoking so I took the battery off and got the bad cable off, can't understand why that done it....New solenoid, starter gear, and fresh charged battery.  Can someone explain what I done wrong here?

76shuvlinoff

Did it continue or worsen when you quit cranking on it?   If so that's a dead short.
If it only got hot while you were cranking there had to be a bad connection or weak cable somewhere.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Rodney_C

wehn I let loose of the start button it continued to crack even though I HAD EVERYTHING OFF!!, I unhooked the battery and discovered the cable on the solenoid, and it was melted.

baldoldfxr

If the starter gear stays engaged it will hold the solenoid on = keeps turning till you disconnect the battery or something melts. could be the gear itself catching on the driven ring gear, or more likely the throwout mechanism jamming, another possibility is the shaft is misaligned when you put the outer case on .
I would look at the throwout setup, Remember if you push it to see how it's working you MUST! disconnect the battery first
it will eat your fingers. Have you changed the relay  as well ?they can play up.

vern

relay relay relay oh yea check the relay

Rodney_C

ok go the new cable back on, and fresh charged battery she turned over a couple of times then it seemed like the starter gear went back out , took the primary off not the case the gear was good, so I took the shaft back out and look at everything and it seemed the gear in the back was a bit outta line so I tried to line it back up and put everything back together, hit the switch and turned over twice again and the samething....anybody got any ideas???? Man this thing is killin me!!!!! :wtf: :angry:

Dawgtired

Has your starter and outer primary, still got the roll pins in place? It don't take alot for the starter to be out of line.
Try and get your hands on a cut off outer primary case, you can see what's going on inside (Easyrider Tech Tips Vol 1) "worked for me"
Don't give up, when it works it'll all be worth it  :up:
Dawg

shov60

I had the same problem with a customers bike after replacing just about everything I found that the splines on the stater shaft had burrs on them and spacer between the shaft and bendix was frozen becase of to much grease he also forgot to install the thrust washer  causing the starter shaft to over extend itself into the outter primary and staying engaged all the time.  I have also incounter a problem when changing the outer primarys
some aftermarkert primarys require two thrust washers. On my bike I have run two washers on the primary other wise I' be working on the starting system which allways drives me nuts  should have left it stock But NNOOOO  I wanted to go fast.

Rodney_C

ok guys I figured the problem out...it was kinda my fault.... :bf: I forgot to take the nuts off the front of the starter ( the end going to the starter housing) soon as I done that she was crackin but still no start, charging the battery to see if that might be it, I have changed the relay to like many of you all have said so any other thoughts???

Rodney_C

Thanks for all the help bros SHE is UP and RUNNIN again!!! She just needed a good charge on the ol battery and off she went.  So again thanks for the support guys.

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway