April 27, 2024, 06:51:39 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ADVANTAGES BALANCING THE CRANK/FLYWHEEL ASSEMBLY ON THE BIG INCH MOTORS

Started by sacbluescat, September 06, 2012, 11:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sacbluescat

We are in the process of putting my partners Rev Performance Monster 114 " together and I am very curious to see if it is going to be much smoother then my 114" stroker build . I might be regretting not balancing my crank / flywheel assembly when I put my 114" stroker build together. I do get a "Potty mouth" load of vibration out of it , also believe their might be some other advantages , such as engine longevity and a faster revving motor ???????? :scratch:

Ohio HD

I can't think of any draw backs to balancing the crank, it can only be a positive for the motor. It may help thinks live longer in there, and may also add a little to the upper end HP. I would balance it. If for no other reason, as you stated, it may be a smoother ride.

Hillside Motorcycle

No way, could those wheels be even close to being balanced for that large bore pistons.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

88fxstc

My bagger has balanced crack and it is surprisingly smooth for it's size...131. It's as smooth or smoother than it was at 110/.
88 FXSTC 100" Fatso    07 FLHX R&R 131
68 Bonneville 650

noliners

Dark horse prepped S/S crank in my 131.  152 Hp/ 156 Tq  15,000 miles. Best 800 bucks spent!

131 Roadking "No Replacement for Displacement"

FLTRI

My '03 117 build with balanced flywheels is smoother than it was as a stock 88".
Just my experience,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

RevFastEddy

Size doesnt really matter much in smoothness. It is the % balanced used. Anywhere from 50% to 60% balance....  one will be smoothest at low rpms (2000) and the other will be smoothest at high rpms (6000)...  So if it is smooth off idle it is a mirror shaker at 6000 and if it runs like greased B*tch at wot than the off idle will be a shaker... cant have it both ways unless you get a B motor and the counter balancers  smooth out most of the differences in vibration. Not a cure but a good bandage
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

88fxstc

Quote from: RevFastEddy on September 07, 2012, 11:52:10 AM
Size doesnt really matter much in smoothness. It is the % balanced used. Anywhere from 50% to 60% balance....  one will be smoothest at low rpms (2000) and the other will be smoothest at high rpms (6000)...  So if it is smooth off idle it is a mirror shaker at 6000 and if it runs like greased B*tch at wot than the off idle will be a shaker... cant have it both ways unless you get a B motor and the counter balancers  smooth out most of the differences in vibration. Not a cure but a good bandage

Not saying your wrong, you probably know more bout the technical end of this stuff than me, I'm not even sure what they mean by 60% balance factor, but, my motor is just smooth throughout the RPM range . It don't rattle fillings at idle or shake the mirrors unreasonably at high RPM's. And I know what a shaker can feel like, my evo softail, chit , I don't even bother with the mirrors on the highway, I turn my head and look when I'm on that bike.
88 FXSTC 100" Fatso    07 FLHX R&R 131
68 Bonneville 650

black

send  lawyers guns and money

N-gin

If your getting a lot of vibration you might want to look at your tune.
I have noticed with mine that if its out of tune it will vibrate my wrists numb. My engine is balanced too. Change the tune and it is smooth as a Honda.
I V-tuned for the longest time . It wasn't till I took it to a shop to get the exhaust sniffer tune. Wayyyy smoother. Then I tuned using the wide band sensors from Twin Tech,  now I don't know how it can get any better..
Balance all you want of the tune is not right it will vibrate.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

locker55

Quote from: N-gin on September 07, 2012, 02:26:08 PM
If your getting a lot of vibration you might want to look at your tune.
I have noticed with mine that if its out of tune it will vibrate my wrists numb. My engine is balanced too. Change the tune and it is smooth as a Honda.
I V-tuned for the longest time . It wasn't till I took it to a shop to get the exhaust sniffer tune. Wayyyy smoother. Then I tuned using the wide band sensors from Twin Tech,  now I don't know how it can get any better..
Balance all you want of the tune is not right it will vibrate.

N-gin , We will see how smooth.... Date and time is set for Bob to tune this Wednesday at high noon.
Sacbluescat will trailer it to Hayward from Sacramento because it has a 95" build tuned on it now.
We will be finishing the build tomarrow.
All I can say is don't touch the top end without doing the bottom.