May 09, 2024, 03:47:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Another new guy on board

Started by kd, September 07, 2012, 07:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

This is my second post. I want to introduce myself so I  can become part of the HTT community. Let me start out by saying I have been reading HTT daily for years (along with a couple of other well known forums that I see HTT members visiting) and I feel HTT is the premium forum for true Harley riders and engine builders.

A mechanic in many fields since 1970 (Hot Rodder at heart) I have been riding Harleys since the early 70's (rigid and swing arm) and recently sold (gave away) my dear 56 shovel stroker (metric killer) to change directions in what I was riding due to a neck injury. We were building single loop straight back frames in the seventies and building our own rims and brakes (15'' laced to full aluminum Super Trick Cragers off dragsters decades before the Fat Boy craze) and tons of other stuff. I recall strokers used to be something we built using early 80 " flathead wheels until S&S started making wheels available. I also remember the first few sets of S&S wheels that came to us in Canada, where we learned thet after 4 1/2 " stroke you had to lower the oil drain holes in the cylinders to clear the oil ring and trim the pistons at the skirt where they met at the bottom of the stroke. So you see I have some history.

I have had to read and learn about evos when I moved on but to be honest, as pleased as I am with the evos we have "the thrill is gone" (Marvin Gaye) and I "need" another Hot Rod motorcycle. I'm a drag race guy and love the power when turning up the wick. Let's say I'm addicted and going through withdrawls. I have been following the twin cam forums to keep me in touch with what is happening out there. I don't have any problem following the tech stuff and sometimes could have contributed to the discussions if I was a member. Well that time has come. I finally signed up.

I will be buying a 120R crate engine, as I see it as the best way to get back in the saddle. These things (crate engines) were not available when I was in the game before. I will be resurecting some of the 120R questions so please be patient with me. This time I will be able to discuss the issues I am interested in instead of following them and hoping someone will ask a question I need an answer to. I look forward to learning some good stuff from the folks that have been breaking ground with the 120R. Unlike some, I don't mind learning from others and using the hard earned information they have to offer.

As a Canadian I find the options when it comes to engine work, tuning etc. are minimal and I will have to use some of the HTT contributer / sponser services and will need some help determining the best fit for where I am headed with this new to me motorcycle. I have learned that some of the contributers on this site can be brutally honest and that is what I need.

That's about it for now. Let the games begin. I'm glad to be here and look forward to some stimulating forum activity.

Kirk
KD

kik

Welcome to HTT KD and while you're building your bike and asking questions of our experts please remember to take lots of pictures and post them so we can see how your progress is coming with the build.

HV

Welcome to HTT   lots of 120s being built on there....done a few myself  :wink: ....if I had the extra $$$ Id be installing one in my new RG ...but ill settle for doing a few Mods this winter to the stock 103...  :up:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT