April 28, 2024, 10:45:11 AM

News:

VOES System on 83 iron head

Started by Weasel, September 08, 2012, 04:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weasel

Have 83 with NOS Zenith/Bendix carb that keeps fouling plugs. Been doing adjustments but not there yet.  Idles great but fouls once out on the road. With this carb, it does not have vacuum port for voes system but I have unit grounded which if my research is correct, the timing will always be advanced. Could this add to my problems? Carb has been gone through by expert mechanic to correct any internal issues(float-needle etc). I would appreciate any help!

Lew

Some thoughts on this.  It's unlikely running fully advanced would have an affect with plug fouling, providing the timing is set properly.   The fouling while on the road may mean one or more jets are too large (most likely).  Worn valve guides are a common cause of plug fouling.  If the engine has had the top off recently, it's possible the heads need a re torque to prevent high vacuum (while out on the road) from pulling oil past the head gaskets and into the combustion chamber..fouling the plugs.
I prefer to use Champion plugs over most others.  They have a slightly longer tip protrusion into the combustion chamber and resist fouling better, in my experience.

Lew 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

garyajaz

Weasel

Gentlemen: thanks for your input and qestion. They are gas fouled. I hope to work on the ole girl over the winter. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Jerry