April 27, 2024, 01:01:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How old is too old ????

Started by 07flstf, February 03, 2009, 12:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

07flstf

I have a 1998 Ultra.  I have owned it since 2001 with 5000 miles on it.  I bought it from a friend and know the bike was never rode hard.  I have done all the service over the years.  My question is how old is too old.  The bike is really 12 years old and has 29000 mile on it.  Never broke down on me and has no signs of trouble, however I have been told that most dealerships will not work on it,( too old) so riding it locally, not a problem, but if I take a long ride and have a problem........
Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Be Safe JIM

PC_Hater

Bikes are never too old.
I know an admittedly strange person who has ridden thousands of miles around Europe on a 1907 Triumph!
Another rode from the UK over the Alps and back on a 1950s 98cc two-stroke!
Keep the bike maintained and just ride it.
Just ride it.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

ClassicRider2002

It helps...if you are using adjustable push rods though........ :hyst:

never mind me 07flstf that was for the benefit of PC!!!!   :hyst:

:duel:

Laughing!!!!!!!

On a serious note 07~~

get a parts manual while they still sell them and a service manual as well for your model....and some tools.....and start readin.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

64heritage

As long as the bike is well maintained keep in riding it. May want to pay attenttion to the rotating assemblys I.E. bearings and such and replace as necessary. As for people not working on older bikes cant say i have heard of that especially in this economy you know any way to make a buck. Bottom line is ride it and enjoy

takwolf

I have a '97 Dyna with about 35,000 miles. I would not hesitate to take it on a long trip, most reliable bike I've ever had.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

dave_9113

Quote from: 07flstf on February 03, 2009, 12:16:58 PM
I have a 1998 Ultra.  I have owned it since 2001 with 5000 miles on it.  I bought it from a friend and know the bike was never rode hard.  I have done all the service over the years.  My question is how old is too old.  The bike is really 12 years old and has 29000 mile on it.  Never broke down on me and has no signs of trouble, however I have been told that most dealerships will not work on it,( too old) so riding it locally, not a problem, but if I take a long ride and have a problem........
Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Be Safe JIM

As a rule of thumb, Dealerships will only work on bikes going back 10 years, so cut off will be 1999.  In actually, if you are broke down away from home, I would think most dealerships will fix your bike.  If not, you have Indys who will definitely get you fixed up.  With 29K and good maintenance, you've got years of trouble free riding. 

stroker800

I don't know,, I'm ridin around on a 55 pan, 81 shovel and 98 evo,,,,too old is when they're thrown dirt on the coffin.
Dave

CraigArizona85248

Yeah... like Dave_9113 said, a lot of dealers won't work on anything over 10 years old.  Don't let that stop you though.  I have been riding my '49 panhead daily since 2004.  60 years old and still going strong.  The older your bike gets, the more self reliant you need to be.  But you are no where close to needing to be self reliant with a 1998 model.  Virtually any Indy shop will be happy to wrench on it.

-Craig

Buddy WMC

My 93 FXLR has been totally rebuilt over the past year. It looks, rides and runs better than a new bike and will be with me until the day I die. Waiting now on the painter to finish doing his thing and the bike will finally be done! The only untouched parts are the frame itself and the wiring harness, everything else is basically new. The engine has about 800 miles and the Baker DD6 about 400. I did most of the work myself or with help from a bro when needed. This board and the members here have also been very helpful.

Most important thing is do not skimp on maintenance and routine safety checks. Services are done more often than the manual states and I use only the best parts available for my needs. I hate having to send my money to Taiwan, China or somewhere else unless there is no other choice. I can't believe how sick I feel when going into the dealership and see Genuine Harley Parts that are made somewhere in Asia.

Enjoy your bike, don't worry about it and take care of it  :up:.

brick1

my 91 FLTCU has 74k on it and it runs just like it did the day i got, from the third owner.  i really take care of it, ride it normal, not hard and not easy. keep the rpm's, in gear, over 2K and the local indy can fix what i cant, or dont have the special tools for.

i cant see getting rid of her anytime soon, and would not hesitate to leave tomorrow for the northwest......providing i can find some chains along the way!!!!  haha

BKACHE

Find an INDI in your area that has a good word of mouth reputation.
Go to him for some work and get a relationship started. It will be worth more than any talk with the t-shirt sales people at a dealer.   
Dan

flhs90

For what it's worth. 64 degrees here yesterday. Rode a fourth hand old or older FLH from my home to Pacific City and back along 101, Pacific Ocean hiway south to Newport. A guy and his lady from Bend pulled up beside me at a stoplight on his 05 Ultra. We both said nice bike. He wa looking for a Costco. Nada, I said then the light turned green and off both bikes went.

I am slowly going through replacing tires, brake pads, etc. Routine maintenance. 64K on it and bike seems to need nothing.
from what I have read, keep an eye on the lifters. Change the fluids and ride it like ya stole it.

You've got a least 8 more years from what I can see. LOL.

FLHS 90
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

baldoldfxr

mines an 86 I've done the top end & clutch but the bottom end is untouched,any WELL MAINTAINED Evo should be reliable
Dealers in the states may be different from here,alough I dont use them myself I'm told they will work on any Harley,
look after it &it will look after you.

riden2low

Quote from: takwolf on February 03, 2009, 02:03:21 PM
I have a '97 Dyna with about 35,000 miles. I would not hesitate to take it on a long trip, most reliable bike I've ever had.

Same here............93 Fatboy...........Oct 2008........2000 mile trip with no problems at all. You just have to take of them like a woman and they will treat you nice   :smilep:

hardonthemerch

Quote from: BKACHE on February 04, 2009, 07:38:36 AM
Find an INDI in your area that has a good word of mouth reputation.
Go to him for some work and get a relationship started. It will be worth more than any talk with the t-shirt sales people at a dealer.   

Thats sound advice there - With that said though, don't be tempted to do too much as preventive maintenance. I see allot of guys spend tons of money on "because it's best to know it's new" theory. "Now you know for sure" etc. - If your bike ain't rattling, smoking, etc now - Leave it be, ride it and enjoy it. (talking mainly motor/tranny here) - Bearings, etc - Good to swap them periodically, however if they're nto making noise or have too much play, then just wait until you need tires. Same thing for brakes - if they're worn past half, then go ahead and swap them when the tires off, etc.

paulkay

Have an 1987 FXSTC picked up in 1986, with about 240,000 on it. Motor started going at 161,000 and is sitting in dining room ready to go back in again. Find a good shop and ride happily along. A lot of aftermarket parts are as good as or better than HD and available all over.

vegaspete61

I'm on a 97 eglide with 76000 miles that I hold the title for. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'll ride it till the engine falls out. Oh, the dealer here in Henderson NV worked on it last year. They did a good job, the price was a little high but, I was sick and didn't feel like pulling the primary myself. 

Hoist!

Never too old! My '85 FXWG before completely rebuilding!

Hoist! :smiled:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
"I just want to be free! Free to ride my machine and not be hassled by the man!"

Hoist!

My '85 FXWG after rebuilding!

"I just want to be free! Free to ride my machine and not be hassled by the man!"

Hoist!

What do you do with all them takeoffs? This is what! My Evo Hoist Bobber!

96FLSTF

February 05, 2009, 04:18:22 AM #20 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:35:18 AM by 96FLSTF
 :wtf: 29K miles its just getting broke in. My 96 fatboy with near 70K (Never had the heads off).  I did replace the lifters at 55K only because of the miles, then shortly after put my son on it (Who was 16 at the time) and let him follow me on a 8,600 mile cross country road trip summer of 2005). The bike is still sitting in my garage officially my son's now (Currently serving in the Marines). So I get to ride it while he's gone. I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country again although it ain't as comfortable as my RK and since we converted it to a Stalker. Hell, it burns less oil than my 05 RK. Of course regular maintenance, a battery, clutch, Brakes, little stuff like that been replaced through the years (But by me).

Gene

70K on the clock
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

rdkng

You should be fine for a long time..  maintain it well, pay a pro on occassion to
do a maintenance and look it over (i.e. the other set of eyes trick)  and enjoy.
I've replaced a lot of parts before the break as my schedule is prefered over
its schedule :)    (84K on 1995 'king)

fwiw.. my definition of too old is..   when both events occur simultaneously.
bike breaks down  AND  makes you mad. 
then its time for it to go :)

rdkng 
Happy Motoring, Road King George

J-Carr

Suggestion for those of you with dealers that wont work on a bike over 10 years old... find another dealer.  My local dealer will happily work on any year bike you bring them.  Now the MoCo ain't gonna make the pretty chrome for it anymore, but most of the required to keep it running pieces still exist from some supplier.  I thought I've heard most of the stealer bull that gets pulled, but that was a new one on me.  And if you can't find a dealer that'll work on it then there's always an independ shop somewhere that will.

So if you love the bike and she treats you right, there's no reason to kick the dirt over the old girl.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin Nemo Dresser
Auburn, PA

hbkeith

i agree with Jcarr,the dealer around me will work on anything,find new dealer.i ride a 93 ultra with 82000 on it,check my lifters and cam bearing around 30000,i would go across country tommrow

88toro

1 bought a 1987 FLHTC needing updated. Spent a winter on it, and thanks to JohnS and many many others I can now get on it and go. No dealer will even talk about working on it. I carry a ton of item when I go on a long trip and usually if I can find a shade tree to work under I'll get her going again, and I have some crazy stories. Being 66 years old I'll ride it as long as this site keeps going. Everyone stay safe,    John B.