May 01, 2024, 07:38:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

74XL build it or part it out?

Started by hubbard, September 18, 2012, 08:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hubbard

I've got the makins of a '74. Got nothin in it as of right now. Times are tight so somethin has to go. I've got the resources and time to build the motor and the chassis. I'm not much on sellin scooters so heres my dillema. Would it be wiser to part it out or build it to sell? The title is in my name all the #'s are clean. The cases are in very good shape. The frame I have is a 74 but the #'s are different . Didn't come with the motor. And no it ain't hot ,I did some work on another and got the motor in trade.

ricochet

Unless you have a vested interest in having it and will keep it I'd say part it out.  Unless you're really looking for something to keep you occupied.  Either way I don't see you fetching much in return.  I've been watching and buying ironhead stuff for a couple of years now to make 2 or 3 bikes as a hobby.  Clean undamaged cases not needing repair might get 3 bills and the frame less than that.  And those are the higher priced items.  Not sure if you'ld get $2k out of a completed ironhead of unmatched numbers and still you're probably needing some stuff to finish it too.  Like everything in life.... time and/or money.

ricochet

garyajaz

do you have papers on  the frame?
most places register from frame #.
kinda on fence here.  if complete can sell it once.
if part out may get more after a few years.
i was looking for some montesa stuff to complete a project.
1968.  e-bay had a guy selling each damn nut and bolt.
he took one apart to part out.  doing the math IF he sold everything would do well. must add in shipping and fees and time.
i just needed a clutch cover and some axel spacer.
how long you want to wait?
selling basket cases is almost a giveaway also.
if you have time i would build it.

on the other hand take a good inventory.  if many $$ parts missing, well, you do the math. 
is it a chopper? bring much less.  or stock?

if complete i would build it and sell just the once.

**also have some authority check out motor numbers**
would be bad to invest time just to have the law say thanks and give it to some one who owns it.
good luck.....
got any pix?

hubbard

Numbers are good on the motor. The title is in my name .  I'll probly build it anyway. Only high dollar parts I'll need are andrews gears . I suppose before its over with I'll be the owner of a custom '70's digger. If I can sell it good, if not FUCK IT I'll ride the snot out of it.

ricochet

There you go!  Build it and have fun doing so especially if it's a custom.  Really depends on what you're parting out.  Unfortunately there are a few good size businesses using ebay that must be just taking down hundreds of sportsters on a regular basis because you see the stuff continualy from the same outfits.  After a while you get to know the value of specific parts.  On the otherhand I parted out my knuckle chop because the engine and tranny were worth so much more than I would have ever sold the bike for despite it being pretty nice with many modern chassis parts, etc.  Funny the demand for the engine that was otherwise not regognized when in the bike.

ricochet