May 10, 2024, 06:27:48 AM

News:

Plastic wrap bike on trailer question?

Started by Tollbooth, September 20, 2012, 04:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brrrap

Lets see.... You fear getting something on the bike at highway speeds on a long trip. So to avoid that we're considering putting something on the bike that will be out in the wind at highway speeds,,,,,,,,, :scratch:
   Put nothing on the bike! Alter the trailer to provide protection. Lock the bike to the trailer, lock the truck to a donuts shop while you :(try to): sleep at night. 
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

truck

Quote from: texaskatfish on September 20, 2012, 09:22:51 PM

QuoteStretch wrap, shrink wrap and tarps are three different animals. :wink:

70 mph wind never discriminates - unless the wrap is multiple layers and skin tight THEN and only then it might survive the trip without being compromised
A heavy gauge stretch wrap won't let you down. You can't poke your finger through 3 to 5 layers of that stuff, it even resists cutting with a utility knife when in multiple layers.
Shrink wrap is a pain to work with because of the large torch you need to shrink it and it's fragile, I've had it develop holes before I was done shrinking it.
Just my experiences, and you know what they say, experience is the best teacher.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Grumpy : (

Back when, I delivered a bike to Ohio by way of AR and MN from Florida.  Open trailer with a plywood piece across the front.  Had my bike along to ride when I could.  Neither one experienced any damage from dirt or debris.

Similar to when I moved back to FL from MN. 

Just haul it and don't worry.

G  : (
Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

Gashman

As usual, opinions are like assholes,  everybody has one and most of them stink!   :bike:

Having said that, I once purchased a 97 RK with a custom paint job, that had sat in a mans
basement for 7 years.  I  loaded it on my open trailer, covered in blankets, TIGHTLY wrapped it
with industrial clear wrap.  Drove from KY to TX through MONSOON rain storms.  When I arrived
in texas, the outer covering  was completely BLACK from road grime.  I cut off the wrap, removed
the blankets, the bike look like NEW!  Was well worth it to save having to dig all the crap out of the
motor, etc.....   
   Now I ride the bike all over the country in the rain, No big deal, But when I first purchased it, it was a
big deal and it worked VERY well.....

If I wasn't at work right now, I would post a pic......

:beer:Gash

Dennis The Menace

So, there you have it Tollbooth.  The results to your original question is, It Depends!  lol

Hope this thread was helpful for you and others.  But, I think it has about run its course of usefulness.

hogasm

Fish about 20-25 tournaments a year from Conn. to Texas with my Donzi

Each long trip I wrap the console with Glad wrap. Keeps the bugs and rod grime off the console and the electronics clean. Never had a problem with it coming off on the road
04 SEEG
02 FLHTC