May 10, 2024, 06:19:19 AM

News:

Plastic wrap bike on trailer question?

Started by Tollbooth, September 20, 2012, 04:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tollbooth

Going to pickup a bike and open trailer it 1500 miles. Can I plastic wrap it to keep the finish clean and avoid chips, etc? OR will doing, "the wrap", cause more harm than good? This has been a coffee house argument. Got any experience or just an opinion?
Guy's I need your help settling this cause there is a bet on it. A cup of coffee is expensive these days!
Thanks
Tollbooth

easyricer

I trailered my Shovelhead 1200 miles to Fl a couple of years ago. I left it uncovered, bike did just fine, was just as filthy as if I had ridden it
Years ago, I drove a big truck pulling a flatbed. A few of my loads were plastic wrapped. If I didn't tarp them with my tarps, the plastic wrap ended up spread out all over the highway. It will shred itself in the wind.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

War Horse

Keep it uncovered, anything on it will rip the "Potty mouth" out of the paint and chrome, anyway you dont cover it while you ride it, do you  :wink: I learned this the hard way back in the 70s with my panhead show bike  :cry:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

PoorUB

Quote from: easyricer on September 20, 2012, 04:45:23 AM
Years ago, I drove a big truck pulling a flatbed. A few of my loads were plastic wrapped. If I didn't tarp them with my tarps, the plastic wrap ended up spread out all over the highway. It will shred itself in the wind.
EASY

:agree:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

truck

Do you mean stretch wrap it? Like War Horse said it might hurt the finish if it's wrapped while dirty. I wrapped one and went about 600 miles and the stretch wrap held up very well/perfectly. I didn't get to see it after it was unwrapped because someone stole the trailer and bike. :angry:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Neckball

QuoteCan I plastic wrap it to keep the finish clean and avoid chips, etc?

How is trailering different or worse than riding?  If you don't wrap it when you ride there's no need to when you trailer.
05 RK Classic, Black Cherry
IBA member #32738

truck

With an open trailer your bike is getting hit by everything the tow vehicle stirs up off the road. Try tailgating a tractor trailer to see what I mean.

harleyfarmer

Would add that if possible put something across the front of the trailer like a short piece of plywood. Doesn't need to be much higher than a foot or two. A pick-up will have the tendency to throw stones back because of tires and it sits up higher than a car in relation to the trailer. Also, when riding you don't usually follow a vehicle as closely as you would be on a trailer. We put diamond plate aluminum across the front of our box trailer for that reason. jmho

Jaycee1964

Getcha self a bike cover @ Wally world for short $$$.  Wrap it on snugly with bungie cords and call it a day.  I'de leave the plastic wrap off it.  make sure areas that may "flap" are well tied down.  Towed a bike 1700 miles once in a similar maner without issues.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

Breeze

Quote from: Tollbooth on September 20, 2012, 04:18:10 AM
   This has been a coffee house argument. Got any experience or just an opinion?

And now it's a HTT argument as well.   :pop:

I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

ricochet

The point about placing some kind of deflector in front of trailor is a valid one.  I think about a sled trailor in the winter.  Without at least a shield the freaking sled gets literally coated top to bottom and inside and out with road debrix, mud and salt.  A short shield goes a long way but still not perfect as you can get a bit of backdraft too.

ricohet

texaskatfish

Quote from: PoorUB on September 20, 2012, 05:27:13 AM
EASY

shrink wrap NO way - the shield concept for front of trailer is a GREAT idea

I'm in the truckin biz - and I cannot count the dozens or hundreds of conversations I've had with freight customers that "think" they want some brand new freshly painted pc of machinery "tarped".................at hwy speeds plastic or a tarp will slap the crap out of the finish - it's a hellova LOT easier/cheaper to wash off bugs and road dirt than it is to ever try and touch up paint
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Snuff™

I've trailered to Sturg... I new a guy that trailered to Sturgis a couple of times, his wife didn't want to ride one time and wanted more than one bike out there the other time.  Open trailer, not covered, and never a problem, 1225 miles each way.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

War Horse

All I can say is, its your bike, if you decide to put a cover on it, report back to us after the trip and.......  :idunno:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

NETacomaFatboy

it is a long trailer trip.  So I would start searching for a travel cover or even pick up a cheap throwaway cover off Craigslist and cut it up to cover the bike....

Bigs

I trailered my Sportster down and back to Daytona from York twice and my Road glide once. 945 miles each way with a 3 foot high board on the front of a Harbor Freight 4X8 fold up trailer. I was lucky and didn't hit any hard rain, only a light mist once.
   Bigs

truck

Quote from: texaskatfish on September 20, 2012, 09:18:12 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on September 20, 2012, 05:27:13 AM
EASY

shrink wrap NO way - the shield concept for front of trailer is a GREAT idea

I'm in the truckin biz - and I cannot count the dozens or hundreds of conversations I've had with freight customers that "think" they want some brand new freshly painted pc of machinery "tarped".................at hwy speeds plastic or a tarp will slap the crap out of the finish - it's a hellova LOT easier/cheaper to wash off bugs and road dirt than it is to ever try and touch up paint
Stretch wrap, shrink wrap and tarps are three different animals. :wink:

rbabos

Myself, don't see a problem if the bike is first wrapped with nice soft blankets and the shrink wrapped to hold it there.
Ron

hbkeith

As said , a deflecter on the trailer is all thats needed. dont make the simple "Potty mouth" hard  :potstir:

76shuvlinoff

When we loaded three bikes on an open trailer we took note of who wasn't there to help and put theirs crossways at the front.

just sayin'
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

texaskatfish

QuoteStretch wrap, shrink wrap and tarps are three different animals. :wink:

70 mph wind never discriminates - unless the wrap is multiple layers and skin tight THEN and only then it might survive the trip without being compromised
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

koko3052

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on September 20, 2012, 05:02:06 PM
When we loaded three bikes on an open trailer we took note of who wasn't there to help and put theirs crossways at the front.

just sayin'
:up: :up:

moose

Quote from: truck on September 20, 2012, 05:31:27 AM
Do you mean stretch wrap it? Like War Horse said it might hurt the finish if it's wrapped while dirty. I wrapped one and went about 600 miles and the stretch wrap held up very well/perfectly. I didn't get to see it after it was unwrapped because someone stole the trailer and bike. :angry:

guess they wanted the stuff to wrap theirs or the trailer
Moose aka Glenn-

cheetah

Pulled a BLACK Sportster from Georgia to New York on an open trailer with no new scratches nor dings. But then It was almost all the way via interstate.
C
Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be