I finaly installed my Badlands blinker/brake module

Started by gryphon, February 03, 2009, 04:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

Just recently got around to wiring in the Badlands combination module I’ve had up on the shelf for a few weeks. It allows my rear running light/blinker lights to also function as brake lights. When I chose my rear signal/running lights a few years back I selected the 1986 through late 90's style Softail lights. Since I'm running a Tombstone style taillight which doesn't give off a lot of light I figured it would be best to pick something with large lenses that put off a lot of light for blinkers/running lights. According to my son though, because of the sunshine entering the large red lenses, it made it difficult to spot my rear blinkers on a sunny day and the brake light was all but impossible to see even when you're looking for it. So, my first step was to eliminate the big red lenses by replacing them with smoked lenses and installing red LED bulbs. That took care of the sunshine making the lights appear to always be on. Next step was to try and make the lights I do have more obvious. I’ve used the Badlands turn signal modules for a few years now on all my builds because I’ve never had any problems with them. Presently both mine and my sons have the module that limits the flashers to 9 seconds and, if you press both buttons at the same time also functions as emergency flashers. Wiring in the new one which allows the signal lights to also act as brake lights was pretty painless. I did modify the wiring somewhat so that I have the option of turning my rear running lights on or off. The selector switch was wired off the ignition so I don’t have to worry about turning off my motor and leaving my running lights on. My thinking is that this way in the daytime, with the rear running lights off,  it will make it more obvious when either the signal or brakes comes on. So far so good and having the three lights as brake lights really increases the visibility in the daytime. If you do hit the signal while using the brake then that side over rides and becomes a signal. Like on most cars. The module is pretty small and I was able to mount it on a bracket behind the left side of the oil tank where it’s not real obvious. For some reason these various badlands modules come up new on ebay quite a bit. I’m gonna guess that a lot of guys buy ‘em and just end up never installing them. Lots cheaper than buying retail, or even wholesale. I’m way pleased with their products that I’ve used and have  a zero failure rate so far.

76shuvlinoff

good deal, is this a model that strobes the brake light when applied?

I am running just dual filament incandescent bulbs with red lenses and wired the extra lead to the brake circuit.
They are not running lights so when I hit the brakes it goes from just a tailight to 3 lights across the back. The drawback is there is no override when you are both on the brakes and activating a turn signal at the same time. It still blinks but it's going from bright to dim to bright instead of on and off.

Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

gryphon

No, there's no stobing of the brake lights. Sounds like you already have a system worked out for yours. The badlands module would work really well for a guy with only single element turn signals in the back. If you wire the way they say to then it reduces the power to the lights to only 1/3 and then full power when braking or using the turn signals. That allows the rear turn signals to be used as running lights also without having to install and wire a dual element light.

chrispfryd

I installed the same Badlands module on my 76 about 4 or 5 years ago. Works great, no problems whatsoever.