April 28, 2024, 04:45:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

solid rear rim

Started by rat097, February 03, 2009, 07:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rat097

Can anyone tell me if a 99 fatboy solid rim will fit a 97 sporty , I suppose the disk and pulley hole pattern will be crucial . Thanks guys.
Cheers Rick.

JBarrettB

Yes, it will work. Just turn the wheel 180 deg and run the valve stem on the left for the XL.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

rat097

Do yo  know if you have to stay within the same year as my 1200 1997 because I know the bearings changed in 2000 to just a round roller bearing and I think they stayed with the 3/4 axel , mine are taper timkins and 3/4 shaft .

camel

I ran a Fatboy (unk year) solid rear rim on my 91 Sportster with no problems. I even polished the rims.

JBarrettB

UP to 99' model Softail, FXR, Dyna, and XL rear wheels are compatible and would work on your 97', no problem.
The 2000 and later wheels are sealed bearing wheels, with larger brake rotor ID's at the hub, different axle spacer requirements, and -in the rear- a change in the width/size of the caliper mount. A lot more work to use a sealed bearing wheel but it can be done.

JB   
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

rat097