April 28, 2024, 11:13:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

wheel bearings

Started by vegaspete61, November 05, 2008, 08:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vegaspete61

One of my rides is a 97 FLHTC. I'm putting on a new front tire and want to change the wheel bearings. Are there any new style replacement sealed bearing kits out there? I'm also chasing a vibration issue in the front end and tire balance and bearings is an easy place to start.

Billy

FTM used to make sealed bearing kits. I don't think they're available anymore though.

Here's a bump for you.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Billy

Frisco, those are the ones I was referring to in my previous post. Thanks for finding them. I've had'em in my bike for years, GREAT PRODUCT. :up:
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

14Frisco

Yes, I have had one set in my 1993 XL wheels and another set in my 94 Road King wheels for a couple of years as well.

crazylore

As far as the vibration r u using a windshield ...moved..changed..or adj. it recently....had this problem on an FLH....took it off... rode it... it was fine...put it back on.. vib again ..took it off again rode it ..vib stopped....threw it in the corner of the garage....sometimes just being out of center or too high or low can cause vibration. Check this if everything else seems OK
04FLSTFI 95" TW 44 cams

nibroc

all bearing supply stores carry sealed bearings and they don't cost alot. btw most are timken--got 'em on a '98 FLHTC and a '99 FLSTC. regards, chas.

roadking714

Iv'e got a 97 RK with 60,000 miles and I'm getting two new tires this winter. Is this a good time to change bearings also.
How many miles should I expect from stock baerings?

TIA

Bob

Lakerat

Quote from: nibroc on November 10, 2008, 05:30:04 PM
all bearing supply stores carry sealed bearings and they don't cost alot. btw most are timken--got 'em on a '98 FLHTC and a '99 FLSTC. regards, chas.

Got any numbers?
PGR  92 FXLR 97 FLHTCU (RIP) 98 FLHTCUI 95th Anniversary Now Carbed

nibroc

lakerat--ya can take yer wheel and axle to any bearing supply store and they will measure and fix ya right up--i have '98 ultra wheels on a '99 flstc--brgs. were $3 ea. and the part # is Z9504-AB for the front wheel. don't recall the rear--probably will cost more now-with the economy and all--harley sealed brgs. were over $30 ea. 6 or 7 yrs. ago.

paulkay

If you are going to sealed bearings like the new bikes have, everytime the axle comes out as in tire change, use a torque wrench when tightening it back up. Do NOT overtorque.