May 01, 2024, 07:48:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starter Unengaging after a few seconds

Started by johnnychickenfoot, November 05, 2008, 08:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnychickenfoot

Folks,

I have an 82 FXWG shovelhead.  Slowly, with time, the starter, (which I replaced to see if it would fix this problem) has been slipping upon engaging the starter button.  It may engage for 2 seconds, turn the engine over, and then releases and winds down.   At times, it doesn't even engage and merely spins. 

The battery is new, the solenoid has been overhauled, but not new.  Perhaps, this problem could stem from a weak spring in the solenoid?

Thanks

Regards

Ashley

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

76shuvlinoff

If your gear is engaged but the starter clutch is slipping = bad starter clutch.
  If you  gear is pulling back from the ring gear and just sitting there spinning = bad connection  (mine did that, was a loose connection between solenoid and starter).
  Could be a bad winding in the solenoid.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

November 06, 2008, 04:24:40 AM #2 Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:28:03 AM by pappyfreebird
sns has gotchya coverd...check wires..ifn all good then my bet is starter drive is shot...now many opinions here ,but ive used the jireh cycles 30$ one n seems to have been as good as the twice the price ones,,plus anymo prolly all made in same place ..again as mark said ifn kicks out prolly sel...but when say kicks out n spins are you sure thats wud yer hearin...cause a shot drive will engage n then chatter er whirl like as clutch part slips er spins

johnnychickenfoot

Thanks for the help.  I'm going to pull the cover and take a look tonight. 

Regards.

76shuvlinoff

Careful, if you are saying you're going to pull the primary cover do not engage the starter as the cover supports the shaft. Do not poke around in there with your fingers unless you disconnect the battery or it will bite real quick.. and it's hungry, trust me.   

If heard of supporting the starter shaft with the end of a phillips screw driver or a punch but I've never actually tried it.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

johnnychickenfoot

Thanks for the warning - I tried that a few years ago - supporting the shaft whilst hitting the go button - but it's almost impossible (in my hands anyways!) to keep the starter shaft inline when it's turning.

I pulled the starter, starter shaft - the starter clutch/drive and everything involved is in unbelievably good shape.  However, I did notice on the teeth of the primary drive (the one that houses the clutch), that it looks like the shaft is only engaging 1/3rd to half of the width of the teeth.  In essence, I believe the solenoid isn't pushing the shaft out enough to catch fully and it's slipping off?

Thoughts?

Cheers

shoveled71

Heres my 71 FLH, part of the family for 28 years.  Spike

100%  pure obnoxious harley ridin white trash

shoveled71

Sorry, put this on the wrong page,[amature]. Spike

shoveled71

I got an old primary cover and cut it so the only part left is the starter support, you can see whats happening in there with the primary off, but sounds like the starter drive to me.  Spike

76shuvlinoff

If you remove the starter drive gear you can try clamping down on the shaft and twisting the gear it in both directions, it should only turn one way. I believe the nut on the end of it is left hand threaded but hopefully someone else will verify that.
  If that's not it my money is on a bad solenoid winding or bad connection or even a weak battery. You say it's OK for a couple cranks then spins. One of the windings in the sol could be opening under a load dropping it out of the ring gear .    or not, I've been wrong LOTS of times.      ;D    and Yes you want all the engagement you can get but I don't think you can get 100%. Could be your thrust washer on the end of the shaft (before it goes into the primary bearing) could be too thick.

Spike, love the bike but if you want to delete the post you have the power! Of not like I said, love the bike!

Mark
 - Ernest Hemingway

johnnychickenfoot

I snagged a photo of the shaft.  Again, everything looks and operates as it should.  Maybe it could be the relay shorting out?

For what it's worth....

Ash

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

81hogman

I agree. I sounds to me like the starter drive is defective. It should only turn one way. If it doesnt turn the other way, keep trying, and it will eventually slip, which will be the problem.  Good Luck

johnnychickenfoot

Ok, I just rechecked the drive and it doesn't slip.  I tried and tried to get that damned nut off the end - but nothing's moving.  I'm ok with that.

However, I think I figured out that the problem is the damned aftermarket primary cover that I put on -  to replace the dull old one with a chromed new one.  If I remember correctly, the milled starter shaft throwout hole is approx 1.5 - 2mm below where the original one was.  At the time, a couple of years ago, I didn't think it was that big of a deal......Unfortunately, I don't have the original cover - it's in storage across the atlantic - a long, long flight across the atlantic!  I think that the teeth aren't allowed to fully engage, or not engage at all b/c they aren't aligned properly.

ash

76shuvlinoff

If it has run ok since the new cover was installed then that doesn't explain it not running now.
 - Ernest Hemingway

johnnychickenfoot

Well,

It's been a few months and I finally received and fixed the problem.  I want to thank you guys for directing me to the starter drive - that was the problem.  I spun over the engine with the primary cover inspection plate off and could see that damned thing spinning while the gear was engaged!  So, I picked up a new starter drive off ebay and finally had time to put it in.  The weather over here in Belgium is pretty cold to ride at this time of the year.

Thanks again for your help!

ash

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway

roadkingdresser

just replaced the origanal starter on my 66 flh. replaced with high torque starter fron jireh. only thing i had to reuse was the shaft and starter drive. the solenoid also. put it all back together oil and all. turned the key on. starter spun like a champ-but wouldn't engage starter ring. took the primary off put the piece on that i cut off junk cover. for some unknown reason the  starter shaft wasn't letting the starter drive engage. put thinner was on the end of the shaft worked prfect. explain that?
roadkingdresser