May 07, 2024, 12:13:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

found a 1969 Iron Head need help

Started by tjh, October 06, 2012, 07:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjh

Hi all : I was lucky enough ( I think) to find a 69 xlch sportster.  Its buried in a garage , been there for 15-20 years, bike looks a little tough not to bad tho. Could not get a real good look at it. Was wondering if I should go after this project or dump it? Not sure about the mag and the pain of starting. Open for suggestions?  I think the guy wants $2500. How is finding parts ?

99 EVO Fatboy Rider

Just me, I would give that for one that I could jump on and ride. You couldn't give it to me. It's old and has old ways. Good luck, my advise is start looking for parts before you buy it. If it's supose to be yours you will find the parts first. Don't buy someone elses huge problem is how look at this. JMHO

eglideic

You can get a runnuing bike for that price or not much more.
Tell him he's got his numbers wrong.
$1200. is closer to what it's worth.

hubbard

25 is pretty steep, BUT you need to get it out and look it over. An ironhead in good shape of that vintage will soon be scarce. Don't let the looks keep you from buying it. Paint cleans up and dirt can be cleaned. Personally I like old Harleys ,all it takes to ride a new one is an ink pen. It takes dedication and passion to put life back into something thats been dead for several years but when you fire it up for the first time and ride it you will feel a lot of pride, and an ink pen won't do that.

strokerjlk

Had a 69 mag fired sporty , I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy.
Look to see if the side case is cracked / welded where the kicker shaft goes through.
Look to see if the kicker shaft is bent. If it is ? Then the gear will slip when you are coming down hard on a kick. If it isn't bent now? It will be eventually I always ordered two at a time.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

nibroc

tjh

Thanks Guys  .haven't talked myself into it yet. When I go back will get some pics and post.  Looking for parts before I commit to anything.

kik

From What I've seen on Craigs List you can pick up a big twin starting around $4000, that's only $1500 more and most of those are already in running condition.

ricochet

It seems like a lot of money for a rolling basket but shouldn't it really depend on the condition.  By condition I don't mean whether it's grimy looking but is it bone stock and worthy of restoration or is it a rat bike waiting for another victim.

It's up to you what your intentions are.

ricochet

garyajaz

no help here.
when ever i hear of a mag sporty i look down at both my busted up feet, ankles, knees and legs and shudder.

hell my 1974 points bad enough to kick.

its up to you . are you healthy?
i like old iron.  but would probably pass on a mag bike

lol  ....looking for next victim....good quote.

desertrat

I'm old and set in my old ways. All I've ever worked on was IH sportys. If you set the points right and time it right, there's no problem. I find lots of older Harleys, "that won't start" and its always an easy fix.  I just picked up a 68 xlch that had been sitting for close to 20 years. The owner said he was sick and tired of kicking it and it never starting. Pulled the mag cap off and the points were gapped so wide, I don't think I coulda jumped across them.  It also had resistor plug wires on it. I gapped the points at 12, the plugs at 20, changed the wires and it started on the 4th kick. All kick start Harleys have a certain procedure you have to go through to start them. Its up to you to figure it out. The 68 now starts on the first kick, everytime...Here's the procedure, Pump the thottle 3 times and on the third time, hold it open, now kick it through once, shut the throttle, turn on the ign. and kick it.  Now this is where you gotta figure it out...sometimes it takes half a choke or a full choke, or only 2 squirts of the throttle, fine tune the starting procedure. I paid 1200 for the 68, hardtail, wide glide front, 3 disc brakes, drag bars...Have fun...

bobrk1

years ago a friend found a 68 in a garage that sat 10yrs, started on the 3rd kick, hate to say it but they are expensive to fix i know another guy who only will pay $500. $800 if its electric start depends how the bike looks.

desertrat

They are expensive to have worked on, always have been. But I'm old skool and have been working on IH's since the early 70's. I do probadly 95% of my own work, which I find relaxing and money saving. IH's aren't rocket science. If you can work on a small blk Chevy  or Ford, you can do an IH. I just found a 1974 with tranny problems for $500. Already disassembled, mic'd the bearings, doesn't need line lapping, just gonna replace the gears with bad dogs and slots and reassemble...And rumor has it of another IH in the county, been sitting in a garage for many years. I got my nose to the ground, picking up the scent... :up:

garyajaz

LOL  Rat,
add one more zero and you can have my 80 inch street tracker.
1974, all the goodies