May 02, 2024, 07:51:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

AR cones or baffles?

Started by dave_9113, February 04, 2009, 02:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave_9113

I run very long open stack pipes on my 77 Shovel.  I know they are bad for tuning, but want to keep them.  Would AR cones or baffles help with some backpressure for low RPM power?  Which book/site to buy from?

dave 

shovelbill

i wont talk about tuning cause i like 2" drags myself, but your long drags are better for low end torque over short drag pipes to begin with. Khrome werks HP plus baffles work real well as far as i'm concerned, not restrictive and not too quiet. they aint cheap(for baffels) but they're worth it.....
build it, bust it.....figure out why

bigpete1

i will second the baffles from chromewerks hp plus work very well and still retain your pipes ,

dave_9113

Thanks, I'll look into that.  I could also opt for the cheap option and do the thumb screw technigue from Nightrider.  Heard that works well too.

76shuvlinoff

The lollipop / thumbscrew thing helped with a bad combo I had, long drags and overlapping cam gave me a lot of reversion and pushed gas out of my carb. It saturated my filter (and my wife's right leg)  not a happy camper.    By breaking up the wave all that went away.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: shovelbill on February 04, 2009, 03:28:04 PM
i wont talk about tuning cause i like 2" drags myself, but your long drags are better for low end torque over short drag pipes to begin with. Khrome werks HP plus baffles work real well as far as i'm concerned, not restrictive and not too quiet. they aint cheap(for baffels) but they're worth it.....

WOW!!!
2" drags on a street shovel!!!
How big is the engine??  I have to guess at least 120" or larger??
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

shovelbill

no, no Scott, they weren't on a monster shovel.  :teeth:   actually they were on an 89" evo with Cycle Rama heads and a big honkin Leinebewber. just said i like em is all. 35" 1 3/4  drags is what i ran on my old 88" shovel, no baffels........Bill
build it, bust it.....figure out why

pappyfreebird

i run 2" stock 80"er wid lolipops,,,ain got no spunk down low,,,but she putts real sweat at 65..ifn wanna try n be quick i run 2-1 wid cross overs (stock) mayun makes a l of a diff..  would likely git me dead in town (nuthar reason like my 2"ers)

randallwhitman

I had the HP Plus (Khromewerks) baffles welded into this pipe and they make awesome power all through the rpm range.

Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX