Mastertune, SERT, & SEST training - classes

Started by FLTRI, February 04, 2009, 07:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLTRI

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while and thought I'd sample the waters a bit.
Anyone interested in learning how their EFI works?

How bout how to use/tune with their "little black box"?

Since I can't be everywhere and I really like teaching, I thought I'd see if there is any interest from the members @ this site. After all it is a tech site and there seems to be a huge ongoing interest in EFI, tuning devices, tuning software and how it all works together.

So let's start a discussion about possibly putting on a class or two to be held @ the RC Cycle's facility. Please take a moment to check out our state-of-the-art dyno tuning center @: http://rccycle.com/dyno.htm
It is as big as it looks, no wide angle lens, LOL!

I guess technically I am selling something at this point (my time) and I know this is not a "selling" site however I have some extra time right now and this is a prime time of year (read: a bit slow due to weather, etc) to use for educational purposes cause most of us can't ride.

I'm not into the profit for doing this but giving people who are "serious" about learning how this stuff actually works, the importunity to find out in a large, clean facility from someone who has devotes years to understand the technology and tuning techniques and really cares about helping.

Just tossing this out there to see if there is interest.

If you feel more comfortable to PM rather than answer with your opinion(s) in public forum, I understand and your confidence will be honored.

This is for any and everyone interested who wants to learn directly from a tuner's POV in a "lab" setting which can't be done with just words in a forum.
Hoping to hear your opinions...good, bad, or indifferent,
Bob Lobenberg
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

burgies08ultra

i would like to sit in on this info ,,, are u going to do this in california??/
or just let us send you our data runs and help us figure out the best changes to make in the map??/
thanks
burgie
2013 road glide,2009 road king

sportygordy

I am interested in attending your classes, in fact you can count me in. I can arrange a few weekdays to attend but would prefer weekend classes if you can make such arrangements. I am currently using MasterTune on my 2008 with a Jim's 131. I defiantly have a lot of learning in the tuning world and appreciate your offer.

thanks much   :up:

sportygordy (near Sacramento)

greg1140

Bob,

I would be very interested in attending your class.
Greg

Quick_2s

Do you have an idea on how it would be set up?
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

FLTRI

Quote from: Quick_2s on February 05, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Do you have an idea on how it would be set up?
Basically you would pay for your expenses to get to our shop plus a minor fee for the class. The fee would be determined based on the number of participants. As I said before, I would not be doing this to get rich behind, but rather to offer a class to educate whoever wants to know actually how and why their EFI works.

It is not a tuning class yet there would be tuning involved to show how the software works and what the objectives are behind tuning.

If there is sufficient interest in actual tuning it would be more based on how to utilyze a dyno and brake to meet the tuning objectives, however I'm not sure at this point if that would be in the same class as there is a ton to learn just about the software and how it works in conjunction with the EFI system.
Bob

layne01

Hey bob, I am definitely interested in this idea! I live in San Jose. Am currently having some pipes made for my fxstsse3, and looking for a tuning facility to get the best possible tune. As well as I am mechanically minded and would appreciate any opportunity to learn.
thank you in advance for the opportunity
layne01,

FLTRI

UPDATE:
I must say I am not surprised at the lack of interest/response for a class to learn about tuning and their associated devices (5 replies after 4 days from some 5700 members).
Even though there are a lot of questions asked and re-asked in this "technical" forum from folks who seem interested in learning about their system(s), there are evidently very few actually serious about it, and just want easy answers for these highly technical and complex EFI systems.

Personally, I know when I have great interest I have in a particular subject, especially when it directly affects my time (work or especially play) I want to know as much as possible and will go no ends to separate facts from opinions and BS, but I guess that's just my obsessive behavior.  :crook:

Some of the forum interest seem to come from folks who have not got their money's worth from their tuner and want easy resolve, ie: a replacement engine management system or auto-tuner to get their bike to run perfectly or buy a different tuning device because the one they have apparently couldn't do a good job, etc)

From my racing experience selling data acquisition systems teams had to be intensely interested to know all about the benefits and how the systems worked because they knew without that knowledge they couldn't win. I did more than few technical and practical seminars in the early 90's for teams, engineers, drivers, crew chiefs, etc and had a ball doing it. Nothing like seeing eyes get wide open  :dgust: when the realization of what they assumed to have happened, sometimes for years, really didn't especially as applied to suspension and aerodynamics.

Anyway, I owed this survey to a couple forum members who stated they thought learning seminars for tuning systems would fly big time simply because they have shown incredible interest to learn. I told them I didn't think so, but I would post a proposal to see.

Thanks to the 5 of you who did show interest and it also shows your sincerity to learn so you can be objective with your opinions. If serious interest to learn becomes reality as it it did with data analysis and data systems I will certainly reconsider. In the mean time I will be in my "room" developing smiles.  :wink:

Thanks for your time and consideration,
Bob Lobenberg

sportygordy

Bob,

Thanks much for your offer. I was crossing my fingers this would fly but had a hunch we couldn't get enough interest to make it worth while. A lot of folks dont realize what they passed up. Offers such as yours are very rare and the knowledge one would pick up at your class would have helped any and all who attended. I sent you an email yesterday asking for some tuning estimates on my 131. Looking forward to hearing from you and meeting up with you someday.

thanks

sportygordy

choseneasy

February 08, 2009, 05:54:18 PM #9 Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:59:02 PM by choseneasy
Bob, just spotted this today.  A generous offer on your part.  Definitely something I'd be interested in if it was possible ( I am in the Great White North). I would bet allot of people  do not surf the afr & tuning zone, General may catch more eyes.
  Give it a little more time, hopefully more guys will respond.
    I know the amount of effort it takes to set up and arrange a class like this ( compared to the actual time teaching) --  it is a genuine passion for helping others that drives something like this.
  Anyway, if it does fly, I would have to fly so a weekend or consecutive day thing would work best for me.

P.S. I am gonna be in Las Vegas at the end of May :wink:

Crockett

Mighty Generous Offer Bob and its good to see you posting again !
If it wasn't for the 2500 some miles I would Definately take you up on it.
If it was to go ahead i would Still concider it, (If I could fit it in at the time it was to take place).
It would be a good chance to rent a ride for a trip down #1 Highway as well  :up:

WB

jimesc

I am very interested, I have tried to do some tuning with my sert. (seat of the pant) Got frustrated and brought it to you for the dyno tune.

FLTRI

Quote from: jimesc on February 10, 2009, 09:38:18 PM
I am very interested, I have tried to do some tuning with my sert. (seat of the pant) Got frustrated and brought it to you for the dyno tune.
Howsit running?

RoadKingKohn

I would be interested.  Just don't know when I would be able to come because of starting a new job in January.

greg1140

Bob,

It is unfortunate that there was not more local interest in this class. If you ever have a chance to give this class please count me in! I will have to come by to see you to get a tune because I just changed out my cam from a 304-2 to a TW-8 and swapped out the heads so I need to get the bike running like it should with one of your great tunes.
Greg

FLTRI

Quote from: RoadKingKohn on February 12, 2009, 01:36:21 PM
I would be interested.  Just don't know when I would be able to come because of starting a new job in January.
2010? Or are you late? :dgust:

FLTRI

Quote from: greg1140 on February 12, 2009, 02:39:10 PM
Bob,

It is unfortunate that there was not more local interest in this class. If you ever have a chance to give this class please count me in! I will have to come by to see you to get a tune because I just changed out my cam from a 304-2 to a TW-8 and swapped out the heads so I need to get the bike running like it should with one of your great tunes.
Looking forward to it. :teeth:

09fltr

Hey Bob,

You can count me in if you ever extend this offer again. I havent been on here for a while, so I didnt see your post. My bike is still having issues with the tune, Im planning on coming out your way in May, to get a tune from you anyway.

Thanks,
Tony

FLTRI

Quote from: 09fltr on February 14, 2009, 08:42:03 AM
Hey Bob,

You can count me in if you ever extend this offer again. I havent been on here for a while, so I didnt see your post. My bike is still having issues with the tune, Im planning on coming out your way in May, to get a tune from you anyway.

Thanks,
Tony
It would be my honor, and look forward to meeting you,
Bob

woodreaux

I would like to attend.
Using a hand held so I hope this works.

sportygordy

Quote from: woodreaux on February 18, 2009, 05:31:10 PM
I would like to attend.
Using a hand held so I hope this works.

Hey Bob,, I've got a tuning date with you Saturday the 28th, (two weeks). Looking forward to meeting up with you.

FLTRI

Hey Bob,, I've got a tuning date with you Saturday the 28th, (two weeks). Looking forward to meeting up with you.
Great!! Maybe I can use you for a test for the class? I'll see if I can arrange for a bit more time to spend with you and see what you think of the idea, if that's OK with you.
Bob

sportygordy

Quote from: FLTRI on February 19, 2009, 08:26:01 AM
Great!! Maybe I can use you for a test for the class? I'll see if I can arrange for a bit more time to spend with you and see what you think of the idea, if that's OK with you.
Bob

Bob, that sounds good to me. I'll never pass up a chance to learn a some valuable tips. I'm thinking of calling you to reschedule to a weekday, would that work better for you? Is any particular day preference to you?

FLTRI

QuoteBob, that sounds good to me. I'll never pass up a chance to learn a some valuable tips. I'm thinking of calling you to reschedule to a weekday, would that work better for you? Is any particular day preference to you?
I game for Tuesday thru Saturday. Those are the dyno days and any day is good for me, so pick your preference and book it. :teeth:
Bob

Sailor285

Bob If I wern't 3000 miles away I'd def be there...Dan