May 05, 2024, 02:54:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

09 RG outer fairing

Started by seattledyna, February 05, 2009, 11:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seattledyna

taking off the outer fairing to get to wiring for handle bar change, have all visible screws, turn lights, windshield etc. removed, still hanging up around the center area.

Any tricks or hints, hate to force and break something....yes I have padding on fender and tank :wink:

seattledyna

never mind...remove headlite lens, place hands above lights and lift, unlatches real nice!

future tip for others I spose'

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

seattledyna

read the book...yea I know, havnt had a chance to pick one up yet...its on the short list now, lol

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Dennis The Menace

Remove headlight lens?  Is that new on the 09 RG?

On 07 RG, just remove the 6 torx screws at inner fairing, remove the nuts holding the turn signal assy and pull up on the outer fairing to dislodge it.  The manual says removing the windshield is optional, but I have never removed the outer without first removing the shield.  SM says it can be done, however.

menace

seattledyna

of course it can be done without removing the lens, but the lens comes off easily and you can get a hand hold better on the lip above the lights

Coyote

The real trick is getting them back on. Took me an hour and lots of cussing the first time.  :embarrassed:

30 seconds after that.  :teeth:

seattledyna

right now I am having just a great time snaking the wires thru the new chubby 508s, thankfully there is more than enough slack so no splicing is needed!

seattledyna

well, that was a days worth of entertainment!, the most time consuming part is putting the wire loom connectors back together, double check and look one more time to make sure the wires are in the correct place on the plugs...)not a good job for the color blind) you wouldnt want to power things up and find out the volume switch honks the horn or the blinker changes radio channels, lol

The TBW set-up is pretty slick and a lot easier to change over than messing with cables as far as I'm concerned.

it really was nice that there is more than enough slack in the harness to put quite a choice of bars on the 09s, didnt have to change the clutch or the brake lines either, but I do have a braided brake line kit I want to put on someday.

thanx for the tips guys.

TweekmyTwin

told ya it was a pita ! btw.. thanks for the side covers
Jim
Kiss What ?

seattledyna

yer welcome Jim!...thanx for lunch, that was a cool place

Puzzled

Quote from: Coyote on February 05, 2009, 02:16:29 PM
The real trick is getting them back on. Took me an hour and lots of cussing the first time.  :embarrassed:

30 seconds after that. 

I'll second that. :embarrassed:

Add a few amps an aftermarket radio, HID lighting and a few gazillion wires and that fairing gets real tough to get back on. :wink:

seattledyna

done! suns out today goin' for a test ride :teeth:

88b

Quote from: Coyote on February 05, 2009, 02:16:29 PM

30 seconds after that.  :teeth:

Took me about four hours, it kept jumping off the centre hook. Finally removed the lamps and figured as I tightened the turn signals it jumped. Lowers off slacken the brackets and nip everything up and it's stayed put for almost 10k now.

Greaseball

Quote from: seattledyna on February 07, 2009, 12:51:52 PM
done! suns out today goin' for a test ride :teeth:

How do you like the feel of the Chubby 508's on the bike?  Any interference with the fairing or windshield?
Did the stock clutch and brake cables work well with the handlebar swap?

seattledyna

I have the 508's on my other bike which I have put over 40k miles on with those bars, they really feel right for me, I can sit up straight while riding and they dont bother my wrists like stock bars do.
On the 09 RG there is more than enough slack in the wiring, brake line and clutch, no interference at all with fairing or windshield, the 08 and 09s already have a one piece top clamp so no need to buy one to do the swap (by the way, I have a new one for sale ;) )

Dennis The Menace

Seattle, looks really good.  I like it.  What windshield is that?  And, are you planning to repaint her? 

I still want to paint mine, but not sure I am not going to trade her for a 2010 SERG.  I am on the top of a dealers list for one, just not sure I want to pull the trigger this year on a new bike.  I have put so much on my 07, and its almost perfect.  Hate to start over again.

But, I do plan to work with you on paint if I hold onto this one.  We'll see come fall.

seattledyna

menace, that is the stock windshield, I have a xlarge clearview on order though, hopefully that will cure some of the buffeting, especially for the passenger...not a happy camper back there now.

Paint?, one of these days I might change it when I get some slack time, I kinda like the tasteful blue pinstipes for now, might repaint the front fender black though, if I turned out a job with the orangepeel the factory left on there it would come right back to me ;)

03deuce

I usually remove the outer fairing with the windshield attached, but remove the windshield before putting it back on.  Seems the little extra movement/flexibility without the windshield allows the fairing to mount onto the the inner hooks a little easier.  Just make sure the windshield mounting plugs are in good shape or they will fall inside the fairing when you reinstall the windshield screws.

cig

Seattle, the only thing I found to cure buffeting on my 08 RG is lower fairings. As you're going down the road, put your hand down beside the gas tank. The air comes under the fairing.
cig 
Alton, Illinois

seattledyna

cig, yea I am considering lowers for this bike, will be checking ebay for some one of these days soon, thanx for the tip!

Greaseball

Quote from: seattledyna on February 08, 2009, 09:20:34 AM
I have the 508's on my other bike which I have put over 40k miles on with those bars, they really feel right for me, I can sit up straight while riding and they dont bother my wrists like stock bars do.

I have the 518's on my Road King....almost the same bars as the 508's....and I love the feel of those bars too.  Thanks for the heads up on the clamp!  HD was not generous at all with the length of the wire looms on my Road King, I had to splice/lengthen the wire looms on both sides of the handlebars.  That made the swap a day-long project, but well worth it!

Thanks for the pics too......I think I'll try the 508's on my Road Glide