April 27, 2024, 10:30:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

""""I don't need a TORQUE wrench, my hand is a TORQUE wrench"""""

Started by gabbyduffy, October 22, 2012, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prodrag1320

hrdtail78

Your lifter covers have a torque also.  Was always told, tq specs were to make sure things didn't get over tighten.  Not tight enough doesn't seem to be a problem.  Not saying I always grab one for a derby cover, but headbolts..?
Semper Fi

gabbyduffy

I decided to turn a negative into a positive and drill out my oil return in the breather assembly.......it makes it all worth it... Quick question, does anybody use locktight on the rocker arm support bolts?.........the manual does not specify.... Thanks
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

Ohio HD

Quote from: gabbyduffy on October 23, 2012, 03:33:26 PM
     I decided to turn a negative into a positive and drill out my oil return in the breather assembly.......it makes it all worth it... Quick question, does anybody use locktight on the rocker arm support bolts?.........the manual does not specify.... Thanks

I do not use loctite on those. Rocker covers, yes.

gabbyduffy

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 23, 2012, 03:39:51 PM

one would think if anything would need lock tight it would be a moving part like the rocker arm support bolt...... but what do I know I let some idiot that says " his hand is a torque wrench " work on my bike.

No Cents

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 23, 2012, 03:39:51 PM

I'm the opposite. I use blue loctite on the rocker arm supports...and none on the rocker box covers. I definately dont want a rocker arm support backing off.
No Cents

:wink:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

rbabos

harleytoprock

FSG

I know guys that just use veins, when they start popping out the back of their neck it's tight enough.  A far better method than torque till it shears then back off half a turn.  LOL 

gabbyduffy

What are you guys using for a torque wrench to tighten the rocker box and breather assembly with the moter in the frame?..also how do you put a torque wrench on the inner allens on the lifter blocks??

Ohio HD

Quote from: gabbyduffy on October 23, 2012, 07:35:46 PM
                  What are you guys using for a torque wrench to tighten the rocker box and breather assembly with the moter in the frame?..also how do you put a torque wrench on the inner allens on the lifter blocks??

For the rockers, a 3/8 drive right angle torque adapter, I bought it a long time ago off the Matco truck. For lifter blocks, Snap On 3/8 drive long allen bit with ball end.

War Horse

A word of caution about those ball ended allens, if the bolt heads arent in great condition these will strip them out in short order, due to the fact that the ball doesnt grab all that much meat.  Yes, Snap-on ones are the best, dont go cheap with these.
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on October 23, 2012, 05:22:01 PM
I know guys that just use veins, when they start popping out the back of their neck it's tight enough.  A far better method than torque till it shears then back off half a turn.  LOL
Not worth a damn. Requires constant recalibrating , depending on blood pressure meds used. :wink:
Strip method only seems to work once. :hyst:
Ron

bigfoot5x

Hey Gabby: Ask the mechanic what happened to his torque perfection on the lifter block bolts? Those are supposed to be torqued also so if one was loose he probably didn't have it torqued right.

Ohio HD

Quote from: War Horse on October 24, 2012, 03:52:39 AM
A word of caution about those ball ended allens, if the bolt heads arent in great condition these will strip them out in short order, due to the fact that the ball doesnt grab all that much meat.  Yes, Snap-on ones are the best, dont go cheap with these.

That's 100% correct, I also only use them on low torque fasteners.

Joker65

"Other than that, how'd you like the theater Mrs. Lincoln?"

mariner227

I'm decent on hitting ft lbs. I will install none critical things ( spark plugs ) with out a tq wrench. Inch lbs., I always use my 1/4 inch drive torque wrench. Never pulled the threads out yet and don't plan on it!

It's insane to not torque bolts with out a good tq wrench.
2010 Ultra, H-Q 107ST, 110 hp, 114 tq, TTS,  FM 2x1x2 Headpipe, slashup Jackpots

gabbyduffy

"Torque extentions"....... how do these work? if I use a torque extension "crows foot" and want the bolt to be torqued at 50ft pounds,.... do I set the Torque wrench at 50 ft pounds and turn the wrench untill it clicks?..... does it matter if the wrench is in a straight line with the extension or 90* with the extension?........... I want to learn how to use extensions to torque bolts that I can't normally reach with the wrench alone.................. thanks fellows.

Ohio HD

Quote from: gabbyduffy on October 29, 2012, 07:31:59 PM
                       "Torque extentions"....... how do these work? if I use a torque extension "crows foot" and want the bolt to be torqued at 50ft pounds,.... do I set the Torque wrench at 50 ft pounds and turn the wrench untill it clicks?..... does it matter if the wrench is in a straight line with the extension or 90* with the extension?........... I want to learn how to use extensions to torque bolts that I can't normally reach with the wrench alone.................. thanks fellows.

Gabby, visit Mr. FSG right here.  http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,1215.0.html

Here too.

http://cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx

Again from FSG.

koko3052

Extension at 90 degrees to the torque wrench! :rtfb:

sundog1258

Quote from: Zamboni65 on October 24, 2012, 10:18:11 AM
Quote from: harleytoprock on October 23, 2012, 05:21:21 PM
No torque wrench here either......... I use pliers :smileo:

:hyst: . . . . when I can't find my vice-grips!
Daddy used to say "bring me them bolt rounders" These guys were loggers and they had the piss poorest tools, wore the hell out junk you've ever seen. Somehow we kept that crap running.  Right before stripping out seemed about right, twist that head off and we had it too tight. I never even seen a torque wrench till we went to the Cat dealer. Bolt rounders, ha ha.

:crash:

wholehog

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 29, 2012, 07:34:56 PM

Gabby, visit Mr. FSG right here.  http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,1215.0.html

Here too.

http://cncexpo.com/TorqueAdapter.aspx

Again from FSG.

what about a ball end (wobble) or a universal?  I've never seen a torque calculator for those

Admiral Akbar

Ideally a wobbles end or universal transfers torque without gain or loss..  On a either theer can be an an issue if the angle is high enough to allow binding of the joint but as long as they are kept reasonably strait it's not and issue.. I once got into an argument with another mechanic that simple long extension would change TQ.. It don't..

Max

koko3052

Quote from: Max Headflow on October 30, 2012, 07:40:47 AM
Ideally a wobbles end or universal transfers torque without gain or loss..  On a either theer can be an an issue if the angle is high enough to allow binding of the joint but as long as they are kept reasonably strait it's not and issue.. I once got into an argument with another mechanic that simple long extension would change TQ.. It don't..

Max
:up:  :up:
Sky's the limit as long as you keep it straight :wink:

Breeze

Quote from: koko3052 on October 30, 2012, 08:37:15 AM
Quote from: Max Headflow on October 30, 2012, 07:40:47 AM

Max
:up:  :up:
Sky's the limit as long as you keep it straight :wink:

I understand short extensions, and low torque values have no effect. But doesn't torsional (?) twist have an effect as the extension length and torque values increase?
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.