May 09, 2024, 07:00:14 AM

News:

S&S Touring Mufflers- power-tour, quiet-tour

Started by mayor, November 02, 2012, 04:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

I need to buy a set of mufflers for on my new '12 Road King, and I'm considering a set of S&S 3 1/2" slip-on mufflers (not the SPO, which are out of my budget).  I searched this forum, and a few others using google, but I can't seem to find much feedback on these mufflers.  S&S has a nice video showing the mufflers on youtube and has some sound clips on their web site, but I would like some real feedback from folks using these mufflers. 

here's the youtube video:
BIKER'S CHOICE S&S Cycle: Muffler Overview

Anyone running them?  how do they sound?  I'm considering the power-tour, but I'm worried that they will be too loud for my liking.  I'm worried the quiet-tour may be too quiet.  Anyone tune either of these on a dyno, just curious on how they compare to other mufflers in performance? 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

easyricer

S&S pipes and mufflers are hard to sell, because of the price, but are truly a high quality product. I've had 2 sets of the SPO mufflers and they really do produce power when compared to other mufflers. The sound of the SPO is nice and mellow even with out the baffles in.  I can imagine that they use the same double wall in the other pipes as they do in the SPO, so sound will still be mellow while maximizing the flow.
The SPO pipes that I had were EPA and CARB compliant, I don't know if the others are or not.
EASY 
Just ride the damned thing!

tomcat64

i don't temember ever installing S&S mufflers here,, we do lots of Rinharts.. loud.. and forthe more mellow sound the SE mufflers,, or the kyaykin crushers... BTW i can't spel fer krap...

Princess Butt

I had a set of S&S SPO's on the '06 Ultra, and I really, really liked the sound. But I had a weird problem with SPO's. The right side one would sag about 15 degrees from level, and I could never get it tight enough to make it stay!

Now, on the '12 Ultra Limited, I pulled the factory mufflers off a few months ago, and I slipped on a set of old Kerkers just to see how they sounded.

The Kerker's weren't noticably louder than the stock mufflers.

If you still have the cat in your headpipe, it's not going to be loud. The cat takes out a lot of noise.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

mayor

Quote from: Princess Butt on November 02, 2012, 09:14:48 AM
If you still have the cat in your headpipe, it's not going to be loud. The cat takes out a lot of noise.
I'll be running a Jackpot 2-1-2 headpipe so no-cat to muffle the sound. 

The SPO are not an option, they are just too much money for me.   :idunno:

Geezer_Glider

With no cat you might be impressed with the stock mufflers, they are, I think,the same basic design as the SPO but with a bit less volume. All open inside with a perforated tube at the end.
Just some thoughts,
R Meyer

HogMike

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on November 02, 2012, 11:32:20 AM
With no cat you might be impressed with the stock mufflers, they are, I think,the same basic design as the SPO but with a bit less volume. All open inside with a perforated tube at the end.
Just some thoughts,
R Meyer

:agree:
Change out the head pipe and try out the stock mufflers, you just MAY like them.
They had changed the internal baffles a bit from '09 to '10 to '13 I believe.
You can always pop for the more pricey option later on!
JMHO
:smiled:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

ViennaHog

Stock 2010- mufflers on a cat-less 2009 or earlier sound like the good old SE II mufflers. Much less baffling due to cats in the headers of the newer bikes.
Put a set of 2010- FatShotz on a 2007 103 Ultra, man that thing was loud whereas the same muffler on my 2011 is very pleasant and not loud at all.

mayor

I am going to try the stock mufflers first, and will likely try a set of Supertrapp IDS (3" internal disc w/21 discs in each side) and a set of old style SE mufflers as well since I have them already.

I just wanted to get some feedback before I drop some coin on a new set of mufflers.  Besides the S&S mufflers, I am also considering the Khrome Werks 3 1/2" HP-Plus mufflers.  I may also go with a set of Jackpot mufflers.  I'm fairly non commital at this point.   :teeth:

Ancient

I don't know anyone who has tried S&S mufflers, other than SPO's (Nimitz class mufflers). I tried some used SPO's  once. They sounded ok, until you pulled up to a light. They would pop and crack like crazy as the cooled a little. Drove me up the wall.
Greg

HogBag

I've had S&S spo's for 5 years and never had a problem with them poping and cracking when cooling. I love the deep exhaust note they produce at idle and under load when riding as you can hear the stereo over them. I'm running a 2-1 at the moment but will change back to a full S&S system if I can find info on if the power duals fit with a progressive stabilizer.

Durwood

mayor

an old friend of mine says Rush was the greatest rock and roll band of all time, but there's a few more I like better.  :teeth:  I thought about going with Rush, but they are a little lower on the list.  I would probably go with a set of the Jackpot mufflers over the Rush mufflers at this point.  I want a nice deep rumble, but don't want the volume to be too loud for touring. 

Ohio HD

Quote from: mayor on November 03, 2012, 05:40:31 AM
an old friend of mine says Rush was the greatest rock and roll band of all time, but there's a few more I like better.  :teeth:  I thought about going with Rush, but they are a little lower on the list.  I would probably go with a set of the Jackpot mufflers over the Rush mufflers at this point.  I want a nice deep rumble, but don't want the volume to be too loud for touring.

I have a set of 1.75 Rush slip ons on my Ultra. They're OK, but will probably replace them with something else next year. Been looking at the S&S 3-1/2 touring, and the Jackpot also.

War Horse

Dont rule out the D&D police intercepter mufflers, open center and very quiet. They get a bark to them at hard throttle but during hi-way riding arent noticeable at all. Just a wee bit louder than stock but not much. This coming from a guy that never wanted to get rid of the stocks because of noise. OH and my gas mileage improved by 8-10 mpg. Give Cali Phill a call about whatever you need first. Happy hunting !
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory