April 27, 2024, 04:15:08 PM

News:

Fuel Fitting on Keihin Carb

Started by ST40, February 06, 2009, 08:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST40

I'm pretty sure I got the wrong fuel inlet fitting for a  '78-1/2 FLH carb from J&P (even with their tech dept's help).  So i am reordering.  In the meantime, has anyone had any experience pressing one of these fittings in?  I'm trying to find a way to support the carb body without total disassembly.   Thanks in advance.      Marty
Marty

Hybredhog

I believe they only make 2 types, and just the length of the brass is different, but either will work. to press one in, oil the brass tube area to make it slide easier, point the nipple in the desired direction, leave the float bowl on to give the body more support,and mount it in a large vise to squeeze it in. your going to have to help hold it straight, and maybe have someone else turn the vise handle. I made a jig that mounts to the A/C bolt holes, and the plate angles around to the fitting side, where I have a pivot head bolt thats threaded in to push the fittings in....Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

greybeard_541

I have two of these that I have reamed (ever so slightly) with a drill bit by hand and threaded with 1/8" pipe. Installed an elbow hose barb (MUCH less expensive from the hardware store!) and not one lick of problem has resulted. Infinitely adjustable to whatever angle you need too.

Hope it helps,
Greybeard

ST40

Thanks for your input.  I already considered the 1/8" pipe option.  After removing the high idle cam, I was able to put a support bushing on the carb body and pressed the fitting right in.    Thanks again.      Marty
Marty