May 03, 2024, 07:18:29 PM

News:

TTS - Restore Question

Started by 07heri, November 08, 2012, 11:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

07heri

I'm selling my bike and the buyer wants the original cal returned to the ECM.  I tried to explain TTS and what it does to the ECM but he wouldn't listen.  I told him I tuned it with TTS for the Stage 1 and cams.  Still wouldn't listen.  Anyway I went out to do a restore and it seems to have reverted back to the original cal.  Did a "get ecm info" and it now shows the HD part number for the cal so I'm assuming all is well.  However, it says the cal is locked to the ECM.  Is this correct?  Is every cal regardless of origin locked to the ECM?  I don't want any issues with the buyer down the road so just double checking that when it says cal is locked that I'm good to go.  Thanks.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

Tsani

Are you sure it's not reporting that the interface device is locked to the ECM?
If not, I think your question may be best asked of TTS. Give em a ring.
As for problems, I would be more concerned that the buyer will blame ya for how crappy the bikes runs and the possible damage to the engine. Amazing that he didn't demand you return the bike to stock components too. People are amazing.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

strokerjlk

When you did the restore, you should have had to pick the mte file.
Then flash the mte . Sounds like you might have stopped short.
You have to hit< program ECM >after you choose restore ( old black tts) or <run command >(blue tts)
Then pick your mte.
Has to be the same version of software your mte was saved with also .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

07heri

Quote from: Tsani on November 08, 2012, 11:57:44 AM
Are you sure it's not reporting that the interface device is locked to the ECM?
If not, I think your question may be best asked of TTS. Give em a ring.
As for problems, I would be more concerned that the buyer will blame ya for how crappy the bikes runs and the possible damage to the engine. Amazing that he didn't demand you return the bike to stock components too. People are amazing.

When I saved the original map it read like this:

VIN - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ECM PN - 32852-07
CAL ID 32899-07D
Lock Status - 1 slot, unlocked ( it was either the number 1 or an I, assuming number)

After restoring:

VIN - same
ECM PN - same
CAL ID - same
Lock Status - Locked to Vehicle

So what isn't the same after the restore is Lock Status.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

07heri

Quote from: strokerjlk on November 08, 2012, 12:10:44 PM
You have to hit< program ECM >after you choose restore ( old black tts) or <run command >(blue tts)
Then pick your mte.

I loaded the same file I saved...named Original Map.MTE.  I had it on my desktop and selected it when it asked.  After I did the restore I went back in and hit Get ECM Info to make sure it restored.  I noticed the Lock Status is now different. 
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

strokerjlk

Close the program and open it back up again
Then go back and see what it says

Tsani

The interface is capable of handle two bikes (slots).
Looks to me as tho the top instance s reporting that of the the two slots, one is locked to that ECM and one is not.
The bottom instance is what I normally see and is simply reprting that the interface is locked to the ecm.
That's my take on it.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't worry about it.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

07heri

Quote from: strokerjlk on November 08, 2012, 12:29:08 PM
Close the program and open it back up again
Then go back and see what it says

Did that.  It says in Lock Status - Locked to Vehicle
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

strokerjlk

Quote from: Tsani on November 08, 2012, 12:32:21 PM
The interface is capable of handle two bikes (slots).
Looks to me as tho the top instance s reporting that of the the two slots, one is locked to that ECM and one is not.
The bottom instance is what I normally see and is simply reprting that the interface is locked to the ecm.
That's my take on it.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't worry about it.
I wouldn't either . As long as the cal ID is correct

hrdtail78

Then pick your mte.

Not true. 

The locked to vehicle is the VCI.  Start the bike up.  Does it run any different?
Semper Fi

strokerjlk

If you try to load your tuned cal back in it should say 1 slot unlocked

07heri

According to TTS all it means is the interface is locked to THAT vehicle.  Has nothing to do with the original cal.  I'm just guessing but I think it read 1 slot unlocked when I saved because I had yet to load a cal.  Guessing, once I loaded the TTS cal it then locked the interface to the VIN.  So basically it means nothing other than the interface can't be used on another VIN, and LOCKED to this VIN, which everyone knows.   

If I tried to load the TTS cal back into the bike I'm pretty sure it would still say Locked to Vehicle because the interface itself HAS been locked to the vehicle the minute I loaded the first TTS cal.

For the most part, it's just a play on words for what it means.  It could have been worded "Interface married to vehicle" with a yes or no for the answer, and it would have made better sense.  Why they chose to use the word LOCKED is beyond me, especially when the word married seems to be more prevalent.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

Steve Cole

Quote from: strokerjlk on November 08, 2012, 12:44:36 PM

No, it will not. When you get a unit new it will show 1 slot unlocked as that is what the interface unit has in it. Once you program the bike it will change to Locked to Vehicle and remain that way as the interface is now locked to that bike. Restoring the original calibration to the ECM does just what it says and puts the original calibration complete back into the bike but the interface is still locked to the vehicle.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

07heri

Not sure about that.  The way it was explained to me is once it's locked, it's locked.  I got the impression that locked means the same as married.  But, I'm no expert on the inner workings of this thing.  Maybe if it was a 2 bike set-up it might say "locked to vehicle - 1 slot unlocked" or something of that nature.  My guess is that the interface might store the VIN (now locked) so if it reads another VIN it won't connect to the ECM.  All just a guess on my part.  The important thing is that it doesn't/shouldn't affect anything with the ECM now that it's back to the original cal.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

07heri

Sorry Steve.  We were obviously typing at the same time.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

strokerjlk

Quote from: 07heri on November 08, 2012, 02:05:29 PM

Not sure about that.  The way it was explained to me is once it's locked, it's locked.  I got the impression that locked means the same as married.  But, I'm no expert on the inner workings of this thing.  Maybe if it was a 2 bike set-up it might say "locked to vehicle - 1 slot unlocked" or something of that nature.  My guess is that the interface might store the VIN (now locked) so if it reads another VIN it won't connect to the ECM.  All just a guess on my part.  The important thing is that it doesn't/shouldn't affect anything with the ECM now that it's back to the original cal.
It should be fine now. I was going under the same assumption as Tsani. You had one slot married and one slot locked on a dual unit.

07heri

Quote from: strokerjlk on November 08, 2012, 02:10:53 PM
Quote from: 07heri on November 08, 2012, 02:05:29 PM

It should be fine now. I was going under the same assumption as Tsani. You had one slot married and one slot locked on a dual unit.

I think married and locked mean exactly the same thing.  Just a play on words.  So if I had a 2 bike deal and used it on one bike there should be 1 locked 1 unlocked.  Use it on the 2nd bike and now it will be 2 locked.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

strokerjlk

QuoteIt should be fine now. I was going under the same assumption as Tsani. You had one slot married and one slot locked on a dual unit.
Your right
I meant one slot unlocked. This phone is kicking my butt.

rbabos

Quote from: strokerjlk on November 08, 2012, 02:53:18 PM
QuoteIt should be fine now. I was going under the same assumption as Tsani. You had one slot married and one slot locked on a dual unit.
Your right
I meant one slot unlocked. This phone is kicking my butt.
Maybe your thumbs are swollen or retaining fluid.
Ron

Sporty 48

November 09, 2012, 07:45:37 PM #19 Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:48:54 PM by Sporty 48
Just restored the original calibration with the help of Steve Cole.
Thanks Steve.
I would have rather stayed with TTS but TTS did not respond to my needs as they changed over the past 2 years.
The new setup with Dynojet Power Vision has both a narrow band and a wide band sensor (wide band has an interface so the Powervision can read it and it is just there for tuning) on the outlet tube of my turbocharger.
Turbocharged Sporty, yup, Power Vision, narrow band and wide band, gack! Turbo whine sounds like horsepower.
A Sportster, Bird-dogs and an old Airstream, How Sweet It Is.

fat103

Hi again !! My question is I saved my factory ecm map ib tts and when I open it on my pc it is an encrypted file !! Is this how it should be ?? Sorry if it sounds a bit stupid but I'am a bit slow at all this computer stuff !! Cheers Kev

burgies08ultra

thats correct, u cannot modify or see the original map...
2013 road glide,2009 road king

fat103

:scratch:Thanks  Burgies08Ultra!! So what your saying is that I have nothing to worry about and that's how it is ?? I will get my head around this stuff eventually after I fix up my "no start" issue. Looks like I have fried my system relay as it won't start after giving it a wash. Got engine light prob and after doing a code check I have  codes P261; P263; P1003. Pick up new relays tomorrow and hope to have it running on a base map CAE 176-03 as I've got a ride on this coming weekend and hope to get a couple of v-tunes in before we take off. I would be floundering around in the dark if it wasn't for you all on this forum. Once again thanks to you all. Cheers Kev.  :up:

Doc 1

Quote from: 07heri on November 08, 2012, 12:25:37 PM
Then pick your mte.

I loaded the same file I saved...named Original Map.MTE.  I had it on my desktop and selected it when it asked.  After I did the restore I went back in and hit Get ECM Info to make sure it restored.  I noticed the Lock Status is now different.

It's back to stock.....

07heri

Quote from: Doc 1 on November 28, 2012, 06:43:30 PM
Quote from: 07heri on November 08, 2012, 12:25:37 PM
Then pick your mte.

It's back to stock.....

Yep.  TTS just uses confusing terms.     
2016 Heritage
Stage 1