April 27, 2024, 11:22:29 AM

News:

Jetting of stock Keihin butterfly -81

Started by xlfan, November 09, 2012, 07:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Anyone have a suggestion for slow and main jet sizes in the stock Keihin butterfly feeding a stock engine -81 XLH. It has the Andrews acc pump housing.

olpigiron

xlfan....

This may have something to do with the jet sizes or not, but I would think the elevation you plan to
run it ( sea level - 7000 ft. ) would make a difference in size. Sorry no suggestion on sizes.

good luck.
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

FeMick

Quote from: xlfan on November 09, 2012, 07:09:26 AM
Anyone have a suggestion for slow and main jet sizes in the stock Keihin butterfly feeding a stock engine -81 XLH. It has the Andrews acc pump housing.

Stock jets are main 160 slow 68. it is usual to up the main to 165, then 170 or 175 if a WOT [Wide Open Throttle] test shows the 165 to be too small. If accelerating at WOT if it sputters it is too small [lean], if it bogs down it is too large [rich]. In my limited experience if it simply will not accelerate past an arbitrary speed, like 90 MPH, then the main jet may be too small.

Here is my procedure to determine the correct slow jet size ...

Setting The Pilot Screw on Your IronHead

If the carb is old and dirty the pilot screw passage may be gummed up such that you will not be able to "gently seat" the pilot screw reliably. If this is the case remove the carb from the bike and clean it up. Some guys try to do carb work with the carb in the bike. IMO this is a very bad idea.

In the pilot screw passage there should be, in this sequence: screw, spring, washer, o-ring. Occasionally POs have installed these parts in the wrong sequence; remember that the purpose of the washer is to protect the o-ring from being damaged by the spring]. The screw usually comes out easily. The other parts may require some work. The best technique is to stick a pipe cleaner in the hole, twist it around, and, like magic, out come the other parts on the end of the pipe cleaner.

EDIT: Some carbs, noteably 1966 to 1978 Sportster carbs, do not have the o-ring and washer in the pilot screw passage.

1. You need to have easy access to the pilot screw, easy enough to reliably judge "screw it in until gently seated". Loosen the front fuel tank mount bolt; remove the rear fuel tank mount bolt; prop the rear of the fuel tank up on a piece of 2X4; on some bikes this will not be necessary.

2. With the engine cold [so you do not burn your fingers] turn the pilot screw in clockwise until it is gently seated. Count the number of 1/4 turns as you do it; write the number down. Back it out to the original setting. You may need to return reliably to this setting after experimenting.

The "normal" starting point for this process is 1,1/4 [according to the 79 - 85 FM] or 1,1/2 [according to usual practice] turns out.

EDIT: An old HotXL magazine article recommends for Keihin butterfly carbs between 1/4 and 1,1/4 turns out. My experience is that this works best. If you are more than 1,1/4 turns out your pilot jet is too small.

3. The engine must be at full warm up. It will have very hot parts; to avoid burned fingers have a well lighted, comfy place to work.

4. Set the engine idling at about 1000 RPM. You want it to be idling at the slowest speed that is consistent with a smooth idle so that you can hear or feel slight changes.

5. Turn the pilot screw in clockwise until the engine idle becomes worse; tending to stall. Count the number of 1/4 turns as you do this. Then turn the pilot screw out counter clockwise until the engine idle gets good, then becomes worse, tending to stall. Count the number of 1/4 turns as you do this.

6. The best setting for your bike will be somewhere between these two settings. The FM says to use the leanest setting [most screwed in] consistent with a good idle quality. Some guys say to go between the two settings.

It should be between 1/2 and 1,1/2 turns out from gently seated. If it is not within this range you should change the slow jet.

EDIT: I follow the advice from the old HotXL mag article - set it between 1/2 and 1,1/4 turns out.

7. You may have to adjust the idle speed.

8. Make sure that the spark plugs are clean, then ride the bike. I usually go for a half hour or so ride outside the city, then ride home with the last 10 minutes at city riding speeds [so that it is on the "idle port", not the "idle transfer ports", the "mid range port", or the "main jet" [see carb diagrams in FM]]. Hopefully the plugs will come out a nice medium gray or tan color. If they are too dark you can screw it in another 1/4 turn; too light screw it out 1/4 turn, and try the ride again.

9. If they are really light or really dark the problem is not with the pilot screw setting. For example, too light might mean an intake or exhaust leak, and too dark might mean the pilot jet is too large [among other possibilities].

10. My experience with this process is that after making a change i have to clean the plugs and go for a good ride [say, an hour or so] before i can trust that the new results are reliable.