April 27, 2024, 05:43:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Exhausts

Started by rbabos, November 09, 2012, 12:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

One of the things that is apparent with the Revolution engine is it's ability to have a loud exhaust tone expecially in the upper rpms. I test rode one with the V&H competition pipe and it drove me nuts with the exhaust exiting right under my ear. Black widows are about as loud but move the noise further back. Tab, too loud period. Don't want to piss the neighbours off too much.  After much research it seems this bike will be getting the Supertrap slip ons as a good all around sound and performance choice. Am I on target with this decision?
Ron

dirty jim

DIDN'T RUN SUPER TRAPPS,BUT DID RUN HARLEY'S 16 GAUGE PIPES. SOUNDED GOOD, BUT LOOKED KIND OF KAWASAKI'ISH. AM NOW RUNNING VANCE AND HINES 2 INTO 1'S. QUIET AT IDLE, I DON'T EVEN WAKE THE OLD LADY AT 6AM WHEN I GO TO WORK. BUT THEY HAVE A REAL THROATY GROWL WHEN YOU TWIST IT HARD. IF YOU THINK TAB'S ARE LOUD. WAIT TILL YOU HEAR DRAG PIPES AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!!!

rbabos

Quote from: dirty jim on November 09, 2012, 02:53:52 PM
DIDN'T RUN SUPER TRAPPS,BUT DID RUN HARLEY'S 16 GAUGE PIPES. SOUNDED GOOD, BUT LOOKED KIND OF KAWASAKI'ISH. AM NOW RUNNING VANCE AND HINES 2 INTO 1'S. QUIET AT IDLE, I DON'T EVEN WAKE THE OLD LADY AT 6AM WHEN I GO TO WORK. BUT THEY HAVE A REAL THROATY GROWL WHEN YOU TWIST IT HARD. IF YOU THINK TAB'S ARE LOUD. WAIT TILL YOU HEAR DRAG PIPES AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!!!
Ok, just checked the site. You have the 2-1 with the 5" can, right?
Ron

tommy g

Quite a change Rbabos, do you now have 2 or is the Softail down the road talkin to herself?
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

dirty jim

YES rababos, THE ONE WITH THE ELLIPTICAL UPSWEPT MUFFLER.

rigidthumper

FWIW, Ron, the best power I ever saw from a stock 1250 motor was with the V-5 2-1, and I've hosted the Vrod clubs dyno shootout 4 times
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

Quote from: tommy g on November 09, 2012, 08:47:55 PM
Quite a change Rbabos, do you now have 2 or is the Softail down the road talkin to herself?
Just the one. Time to experience another form of Harley.
Ron

rbabos

November 10, 2012, 05:03:21 AM #7 Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:41:20 AM by rbabos
Quote from: rigidthumper on November 10, 2012, 04:26:09 AM
FWIW, Ron, the best power I ever saw from a stock 1250 motor was with the V-5 2-1, and I've hosted the Vrod clubs dyno shootout 4 times
Robin
Thanks, I checked into that Supertrap model. Not available for 12s-13s
Ron

rbabos

Well, it seems after 2 weeks of research I've made a decision. First off the v rod engine is loud by nature, big bore, short stroke , high rpms.  Just about every 2-1 is hard to tollerate for long distances other than the v5, but it don't come in black. It also seems it's hard to beat the stock head pipes so given that I've decided on the supertrap fatshots slip ons. I can then at least control the volume of the beast and if too quiet I can go open end caps.
Nothing worse than spending 1k on a system and can't stand it being too loud. :wink: Been there done that once with the BSS Vance and Hines on the softail.
Ron

rbabos

December 09, 2012, 10:54:41 AM #9 Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:52:02 PM by rbabos
Well, got the supertrapps bolted on and they sound nice with the 12 discs and doesn't seem to run any different with the stock tune. It will be tuned later.  Problem is both the pricks leak at the connection. Might have to slot a bit more with high temp sealant, but first I will try using the beefy stock clamps instead of the wimpy things supplied by supertrapp. Needs more crush on the pipe since the slip fit is a tad looser than oem. Hopefully that fixes it.
Ron

rbabos

Got it. OEM clamps didn't work out. Had to slit in between each of the originals with a zip cut, high temp sealant and got them to seal. Not impressed with the product fit wise. Read several of the same issues on 1130 cc.com and they still keep blundering away the same old way without addressing the issue.
Ron