May 05, 2024, 10:55:00 PM

News:

Changing pads/ Precision Machine

Started by Gonzo, February 06, 2009, 03:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzo

Gotta change the pads on my old Fatboy. I have the Precision Machine 4 piston calipers on the rear wheel. Question is, can I change them out without removing the rear wheel ? It looks like I can by just pulling the clip, sliding the rod over, remove the pads and replace everything. But it always looks easier than it is. Anybody know if I can do it without removing the rear wheel?

paulkay

Might have to go downstairs to check the name, but your procedure sounds right. Get a little pry bar (Stanley), pull the pin, inset the pry bar between the pad and rotor and pry the pad back pushing the pistons back in the caliper, put a new pad in and then do the same to the other side. One side at a time, putting the new pad in holds the pistons in when prying on the other side. After a couple of times you will get fast enough to really piss others pad changers (HD) off. Plus a lot better braking.

Performance Machine: do not know Precision Machine. Been running my PMs a long time and numerous save my ass from idiots.

Gonzo

Sorry Paulkay, you're right. It IS Performance Machine. I used to work for a Precision Machine when I was younger, and must have had a senior moment at the keyboard. I'll stop by Arlen Ness on the way home from the shows today, and let ya know how it goes. Thanks for the reply