April 27, 2024, 11:20:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shovelhead Pistons

Started by 75-HD, February 06, 2009, 04:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

75-HD

I am rebuilding my shovelhead 74 cubic inch engine. I need new barrels and pistons what are the BEST pistons I can buy

Thanks For Your Help

stroker800

I would use HD cyls if you can find a good stock bore size,,or good with S&S or good quality cyl...I wouldn't waste money on Taiwan stuff..As far as pistons go,,, you have a choice of cast or forged. The cast will be fit tighter ,,less piston slap on start up....forged are stronger....Kieth Black makes a forged that fit tight and are good quality...It would also maybe agood time too convert to 80",,,just a thought......If you can't find the parts I have a set of 74"+.050 over and Wiseco pistons matched with low miles,,good luck.
Dave

CraigArizona85248

I use Wiseco forged pistons.  Got ~60K miles on my current set.

-Craig

monty101

crazycanadian

Keith blacks are hyperutectic .. fit tighter.. and reflect more heat back into the chamber needing less timing and making a lil more power. very good piston.

Wiesco forged... fairly tight fitting and long wear and power.. tougher than Keiths but not needed on a low hp deal..

Kb good to 100hp.. after that get the Wiesco

S&S old school piston.. sloppy cylinderwall clearances.. use more oil.. noisier.. only use if last resort far as i'm concerned.

Dawgtired

I'm with Craig and monty101 on Wiseco. Used them on my 80" when I went back to std bore.
Dawg.

crazycanadian

I build race engines for a living..

Kb is superior piston for eveyday driving to 100hp.

Wiesco superior piston for serious motor that a guy is going to abuse the bag off of and or make over 100hp period

baldoldfxr

wiseco ,check the bores plenty of new barrels are out of round or just badly bored,

crazycanadian

February 08, 2009, 12:44:18 PM #8 Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:49:49 PM by crazycanadian
Dyno clearly shows hp adv on the Keiths. sorry.  hahah  .. especially if it's a low hp rebuild. the pistons plain fit tighter in the skirts.. allowing less piston rock.. better sealing and better oil control.

Wiseco great if you got the coin and just want forged to say you have forged pistons. For everyday driver waste of money.

Wiseco actually just changed their top ring to a wider top ring.. they were so narrow in the evos they were prematurely wearing the bore out. You have to custom order rings for those older pistons because they don't stock the rings anymore.