May 05, 2024, 10:23:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FatCat Won't Fit '97 Softail

Started by ramcr913, February 06, 2009, 08:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramcr913

I am trying to fit a D&D FatCat on a '97 Softail. The stock master cylinder interfered, so I removed it and installed new forward controls. The frame bracket that previously secured the master cylinder interfered, so I cut it off. Then the new forward control interfered. Looked like it would clear once the pipe was in so I removed the forward control, thinking it might go back in OK after the pipe was in place.  The front pipe will not clear the space between the frame member and the head. 

I recently put in a Woods W6 and a Mikuni 42. I bought the bike used recently and it came with drag pipes. The pipes have got to go, does anyone have any ideas on how to get the FatCat to fit? Most of the folks I have talked to had no problems, the FatCat bolted right up.

bigpete1

are you sure the pipe is for softail chassis?not a dyna ,pete

ramcr913

No, I am not sure- I can only assume. Fortunately the owner of the Indy shop I got it from is a decent stand-up character. I told him it wouldn't fit, and might possibly be for a another frame. He took it back, so now I am regrouping. Them drag pipes gotta go, I am considering either trying another Fatcat, or a V&H 2 onto 1.
Thanks for the reply

lionsm13

I run a Kerker Super Meg. Sounds good, low rumble till you get on it and then she'll bark. You can buy em off eBay for a buck and a half or so. They used to come standard on Big Dog Choppers, and a lot of the guys thought that they had to have those ground pounder pipes as they were the fad of the day and took off their Super Megs. At any rate, they rate right up there with the rest of em'..

Here's a link to Nightrider and the specs associated with various 2-1 pipes.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust_test_01.htm

ramcr913

lionsm13- thanks. I found that site a few weeks ago, there is some excellent information there. You are right, the Kerker is a pretty good tradeoff in terms of performance for value. I am looking for the best numbers in the 2500- 3500 RPM range, there are some choices out there.

bigpete1

i have a black e series in really nice shape that will fit your bike  ,it is in swapmeet section here on htt in twin cam section i will post pics of it ,let me know if you have any interest ,thanks pete