May 05, 2024, 10:36:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1998 EVO CALIPER "O" RING REMOVAL?

Started by sparky88, February 07, 2009, 06:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky88

Anyone got any tips for removing the “O” Rings on an EVO Style Caliper.
I don’t want to scratch the machined surface.
Thanks,
Sparky
:smiled:

tinkerman

February 07, 2009, 06:41:32 AM #1 Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:19:08 AM by tinkerman
Haven't had the calipers apart on my Heritage yet but I have used compressed air to lift an "o" ring out of a "hard to get at groove" in other equip I have worked with.

If you try this be real careful you don't blow brake fluid anywhere you don't want it and most importantly put on a pair of safety goggles.

I was thinking after, that I haven't seen to many "O" rings where I couldn't just hook the "O" ring out with some small picks and hooks tools that I have kicking around the shop.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

FSG

If you use picks make sure they're plastic or wood else you'll scratch the surface, Toothpicks and Dental/Floss Picks work well.   ;D

JohnS_Rosamond

I use a steel pick, but I would "stab" the O-ring (caliper piston seal) itself and tease it out.  With old or stubborn caliper seals as long as you don't exert undue force, you can actually get the pick behind the seal without scratching the bore.