April 27, 2024, 05:12:18 PM

News:

SHORTER SHIFT LEVER?

Started by Hal64hd, February 07, 2009, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal64hd

Greetings,
My Wife is of short stature, 4'10" and I bought her a 07 XL883L (which she could actually reach the ground) The problem that I have is along with her height deficiency her feet match(buys her shoes in the kids department) The problem the she is having is that the shifter is too long for her to be able to properly upshift, and misses gears. Does anyone make a shorter shifter for the sportster?

Panzer

Don't know of a shorter shifter arm anywhere that I've seen.
You could remove it and have it cut down and rewelded.
That's just a suggestion.
I think she needs to move up more in the saddle, closer to the tank.
She using a solo seat or two up?
How is she on the brake pedal?     Same as the shifter?

Advise, so we can.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hal64hd

any closer and she is ON the tank. She has the Standard solo seat. I was able to adjust the rear brake pedal so she could use it. The problem is when she has to upshift, her feet aren't big enough (size 3 in a kids shoe) to get her toe under the shifter firmly and misses gears

PC_Hater

Storz Performance do a reverse-pattern gearchange setup so that you press down on the shift lever to change up.
That would solve the problem of her not being able to change up easily. I'm sure she is good at stomping down with her boots! Changing down can often be delayed awhile by feathering the clutch etc.
Otherwise, minor mayhem on the existing shift lever.
Ahh! What about the pingel airshifter? And somebody out there is doing an electric version.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Panzer

PC,
I think you have the right idea on the heel down shifting, I forgot about that.
My son has a fat boy that had the heel kick down shift in tandem with the toe shift.
It works well, I road it one week, liked it.

Hal64hd,
You might want to talk to your HD dealer about the heel shift, or post it in the "General" section, for help in obtaining this setup.

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

PC_Hater

Panzer,

The Storz reverse-pattern gearchange plate is not a heel shifter. It makes the standard shift lever so you press down to change up a gear. To get first gear you go UP from neutral. That is the 'racing' pattern gear change for when you are leaned so far over to the left there is no room to get your boot underneath the shift lever.

But, I had forgotten about the heel-toe shift option. It shouldn't be too much of a pain to rig that up.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

shobby dobby

well my wife is 4'10" and also wears a size 3 kids shoe   she rides a 01 883hugger and has the same problem for about 6 years now   when she shift's  she has to move her foot foward on the foot peg from the regular position

shobby dobby