May 05, 2024, 10:25:58 PM

News:

XLH battery box

Started by tyson1989, December 02, 2012, 05:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyson1989

Just went and bought a 73 XLH project.  Was doing some preliminary tear down on it.  This bike has not run since 86, locked steering head.  I was really wanting, or thinking about, loosing that big battery box and oil bag.  Has anyone done this?  Maybe a side load oil bag where a smaller battery slides in from the side? 

Thanks, Eric

eglideic

There is a BIG reason for that HUGE battery.
That starter needs every bit of power it has to turn over that motor.
Your Sporty has more compression than a Big Twin.
Now you can put a kick starter and a magneto on it and remove the battery altogether.
J&P has kick starter kits for about $300. and magnetos for just over $1000.
But that is assuming you have mountain of CASH.
I'd try kick starting a friends bike and see if that HUGE battery doesn't start looking really good to you.
I haven't kick started a bike for maybe 20 years or more and it's a good lifestyle.
Good Luck.

ricochet

I'm told you can put a later model more powerful gel cell battery like those used in newer big twins and cut off some of the width hanging off the left side.  It involves some fabrication or mods to the existing tray and covers.  I haven't done it yet but essentially shorten the tray then shorten the covers by taking material off the backside or inboard edges so the outside looks the same.  Bear in mind the new technologies for batteries make smaller batteries more powerful than the ones used in 73.

This is my plan on a 1973 XLH if I find the battery to be a pain in the groin.  I don't recall the oil tank being an issue but that was 40 years ago.  I'll bet you could shave a half inch to an inch off of that width with creative mounting or shortening the rubber standoffs.  Maybe solid mounts or neoprene washers.

Just an oppinion but I like the looks of the stock XLH oil tank and battery over the XL or an aftermarket.  Part of that Sportster charm.

ricochet

longhairedcountryboy

It's yours, do what you want to.  You might have to build a battery box and make some brackets.  It will start ok with a smaller battery as long as it has enough cranking amps. 

tyson1989

Hell, I got my lawn mower battery in it right now.  It starts good, and its single digets right now.

nibroc

Quote from: tyson1989 on December 31, 2012, 04:55:38 PM
Hell, I got my lawn mower battery in it right now.  It starts good, and its single digets right now.

par for the course--my 500 polaris atv batt is identical to my FLSTC batt

nucklhead13

You can make your own oil tank and find any battery box you want. On my 1971 drag bike frame I had to make a stainless steel oil tank that holds 3 1/2 quarts even though 1980 stock ones held 4. I got a shovelhead side mount battery box that sits on the left hand side. Sure kept a large battery for electric starter.
You can also find some shovel hed wrap around chopper oil tank and make it work.