April 27, 2024, 01:02:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

04 xb12 dies when put in gear

Started by tbills66, December 04, 2012, 02:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbills66

I helping a friend of mine with an 04 XB12.  We have had to replace the wire harness, exhaust, triple trees and other misc. parts.  We have it running, but when we put it in gear it dies.  Will the clutch lever switch cause this?  We know that it is bad, but didn't notice it until we got it running.  Any ideas on what could be causing the problem?

rigidthumper

Quote from: tbills66 on December 04, 2012, 02:37:59 PM
I helping a friend of mine with an 04 XB12.  We have had to replace the wire harness, exhaust, triple trees and other misc. parts.  We have it running, but when we put it in gear it dies.  Will the clutch lever switch cause this?  We know that it is bad, but didn't notice it until we got it running.  Any ideas on what could be causing the problem?

Yes, when combined with the sidestand switch, the bike will die- it thinks you're letting the clutch out with the sidestand down, and it's programmed to do that- prevent take off with the side stand down.  Check/fix both switches should take care of that.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tbills66

We are going to get another clutch lever switch.  The 04 XB's did not have a side stand switch according to the parts and service manuals.  From the research I have done, the first year for the side stand switches was 08 on the XB's.  I know the clutch lever switch is definitely a problem because I cannot start it in gear with the clutch pulled in.

mark61

What is the purpose of the clutch lever switch? Did it replace the neutral start switch?

tbills66

The clutch switch was the problem.  It works fine now.  The clutch lever switch allows you to start the engine while it is in gear as long as the clutch is pulled in.  And it will kill the engine if you try and put it in gear without pulling the clutch in.