April 27, 2024, 02:44:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Retaining compound on clutch hub

Started by tiburontropic, February 07, 2009, 01:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiburontropic

Has anyone ever use a retaining compound (aka Bearing Mount Compound) on the tapered shaft? Last summer my clutch hub slipped a little and the key chipped the main shaft key slot on my newly rebuilt tranny. The clutch hub nut was fully torqued. Anyone ever use Loctite 660 to repair a key slot?

Mule

Keys are designed to shear, to prevent other damage from sudden lock up. If the shaft keyway is damaged enough to need repair, I would say it's time to replace that shaft. Mule...

tiburontropic

The key didn't give when it slipped a little, just deformed some the material retaining the key in the slot. Its a Andrews shaft. The owner of BDL explained to me that the key won't sheer, the hub will deform. The hub did deform, enough to have to buy another one.

crazycanadian

Try taking emery cloth and ruff all the mating surfaces on the tapers up and then add a touch more torque to the nut.. make sure you use red on the nut.. it really should hold it.. I guys running big hp with drag bikes and they aren't moving.

Dogbone45ACP

stroker800

I install a new key everytime it comes off the shaft..I make a habit of using an epoxy to hold key in slot while sliding clutch on mainshaft,,I have the key walk in when installing and crush in the clutch hub (damn it)...I never tried the locktite,,been happy with the epoxy.
Dave

tiburontropic

February 08, 2009, 11:24:54 AM #6 Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:32:05 AM by tiburontropic
What may have happend is the key could have came out of the slot a little bit during operation and when the clutch hub slipped it and rolled the key. If I tap the key in the slot its still tight, but just the top of the slot had some material displaced. I just cleaned it up and was going to use some Loctite 660 to hold the key tight and a little mounting compound just to add a touch more sheer strength. Since the total surface contact area of a tapered fit is only 30-40%, the mount compound increases it to near 100%. Runout of the transmission mainshaft was near perfect.

baldoldfxr

I would'nt use anything on the shaft / hub probably cause more problems than it would solve, the key is realy there to locate the hub not to stop it spinning on the shaft, & it sound like yours is still sitting in its slot, It can be worth checking the contact between the shaft & hub using engineers blue on on the shaft pushing the hub on & turning it around once. if it doesnt show good contact you can use valve grinding paste to lap them together, its a long boring job but iv'e done it before to reclaim a scored shaft with good results, I know its stating the obvious ,but If you try this clean of the paste very thoroughly as it will destroy everything.