May 05, 2024, 02:29:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Welding question

Started by 48pan, February 07, 2009, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48pan

I just picked up a 160 mid-state welder. It can weld arc, mig and tig. I haven't welded mig in 20+ years. How pressure do you run in argon/co2 regulater using .035 wire? I know there are many varitables, what's a ball park number?
Thanks,
Russ

hfdchief

set the regulator between 25 and 30 psi whith the trigger pulled, keep the cup close to your work.
chief

48pan

Thanks Chief. No wonder it didn't work so well. I had it set at 20

48pan

Another thing, there doesn't seem to be any way to control the wire speed

Memnar

Uhh. are you using a flow meter or a regulator? There is a difference. People get them confused so don't feel bad if you did.

You want to use a flow meter, not a regulator. And the flowmeter should be set at 15, not 30. At 30 the flowmeter sucks air in with the CO2 as its too much flow, so the weld will be picking up the air mixed with the gas. And at 30 you are using way too much gas, like having a leaky gas tank, drip drip waste waste..

If your using a regulator, you need to buy a flowmeter,  as @ 30psi your going to blow through your bottle real quick.

Albuquerque, NM.

ultrakoz

30 to 35 CFH is appropriate. (cubic feet per hour) At 30 PSI, you would blow the molten weld pool away. As stated, you want a proper flow meter to attach to your bottle.
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right.