May 05, 2024, 10:41:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Best carb

Started by tyson1989, December 08, 2012, 03:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyson1989

Just wondering what everyones opinion was for a carb for an ironhead.  I got a 73 XLH.  It has a Bendix but I think I'm leaning toward a S&S B.  Just wondered what everyone else was running.

chopper

I always LIKED those old Bendix carbs.  They're very simple to work on, dial in, and stay in tune forever
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: tyson1989 on December 08, 2012, 03:38:34 PM
Just wondering what everyones opinion was for a carb for an ironhead.  I got a 73 XLH.  It has a Bendix but I think I'm leaning toward a S&S B.  Just wondered what everyone else was running.

If your headed towards an S&S, you'd be better off with an E.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

tyson1989

Not really headed in any direction yet. :nix:  Just wanted everyone's opinion. :teeth:

Eric

eglideic

A Bendix is a great carb. But go ahead if you've got more money than you need.

Ohio HD

I'd it's stock, use the Bendix. If it's mild, use the Bendix. If it's really built, S&S Super E.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nibroc

S&S SUPER E is hard to fit w/mag but doable

Hillside Motorcycle

Another option would be a CV.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

bobrk1

i always loved my su from riveria

desertrat

The simplest to work on or adjust would be a Mikuni 38, the Bendix, or an older Kiehn, like pre 76, I believe, with the butterfly choke. They work good on the old iron and shouldn't be hard to find.

saltcaveminer

38mm mikuni works for me.Salty

nibroc

thoughts on an ultima R-2 :chop:

longhairedcountryboy

I ran a S&S for about 20 years and a friend talked me into trying a CV.  It was free so WTF, I had to buy a flange and a 2 cable throttle set up.  I'll never go back.  Starts better, runs better and I get about 10 miles more out of a gallon of gas.  The S&S probably is a little bit faster flat out wide open but who rides like that.

longhairedcountryboy

January 10, 2013, 11:02:24 AM #13 Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:05:30 AM by longhairedcountryboy
The damn flange broke so I might be going back after all.

tyson1989

I'm gonna use a butterfly keihin. 

Brrrap

Tyson, I ran an old Keihin on my '59 Sportster for well over 10 years. Easy to work on, fine carb that worked well.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

nucklhead13

I ride a 1000CC 1980 XL chopper. When I got the engine rebuilt the mechanic sold me a S and S Super E. This carb is et up for racing. It has two jets and the manual tells how to select them. It also has some adjustments. It sure starts easy and runs smoothly now. I've just had to also learn how to do things like set the float right. It sure beats the carb it replaced.